Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ricochets off people

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Two months ago, at a range in SoCal, we had a shooter killed by a ricochet from a 30 cal rifle bullet. The round went through wood on top of berm, angled down, went through 4x4 wood holding up roof on adjacent berms shooter waiting area, entered victim in back armpit area, through heart, lungs and exit far side of chest.

Bullets do very strange things

http://m.pe.com/articles/safety-8235...ing-range.html
    scary.

how do we prevent stuff like that? could the same thing happen from a 2x4, steel target, etc...

Feedback Score
    I treated a guy who's wife shot him in the back of the head with a .25ACP that skimmed over his skull & under the subcutaneous fat. A med student used local anesthetic & a scalpel to remove it.

The other 5 slugs were in the lower neck/trapezius & back but didn't go more than a couple inches & were stuck in muscle. Since the shot man was a body builder, no damage was done by the bullets--none penetrated deep enough. Seems he had an extramarital fling & his wife couldn't wait for a divorce.

He was discharged from the ER, but we recommended he stay with a friend instead of going home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    I treated a guy who's wife shot him in the back of the head with a .25ACP that skimmed over his skull & under the subcutaneous fat. A med student used local anesthetic & a scalpel to remove it.

The other 5 slugs were in the lower neck/trapezius & back but didn't go more than a couple inches & were stuck in muscle. Since the shot man was a body builder, no damage was done by the bullets--none penetrated deep enough. Seems he had an extramarital fling & his wife couldn't wait for a divorce.

He was discharged from the ER, but we recommended he stay with a friend instead of going home.
    I assume he fled after being shot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I assume he fled after being shot?
    It was in the 1990s, IIRC, the police brought him in their car, and she fled with the gun. He walked in & walked out. Everyone was confused, he (the patient) was drunk as a skunk & thought she hit him with something, as did the cops. I mean, poeple who are shot, die, right?

I do remember when she showed up screaming at him with her family, she was arrested with some chromed .25 on her--empty. They installed metal detectors soon after.

OTOH, I missed the drive-by shooting on the ER by 24hours--I was off that night.

Phili! Wow.

Feedback Score
    I've seen a 12 gauge slug deflect off of the bill of a baseball cap...at ~15 yards.

Bill
    "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil
    ... you know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC, former 1st Marine Division CO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123