Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ricochets off people

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Two months ago, at a range in SoCal, we had a shooter killed by a ricochet from a 30 cal rifle bullet. The round went through wood on top of berm, angled down, went through 4x4 wood holding up roof on adjacent berms shooter waiting area, entered victim in back armpit area, through heart, lungs and exit far side of chest.

Bullets do very strange things

http://m.pe.com/articles/safety-8235...ing-range.html
    scary.

how do we prevent stuff like that? could the same thing happen from a 2x4, steel target, etc...

Feedback Score
    I treated a guy who's wife shot him in the back of the head with a .25ACP that skimmed over his skull & under the subcutaneous fat. A med student used local anesthetic & a scalpel to remove it.

The other 5 slugs were in the lower neck/trapezius & back but didn't go more than a couple inches & were stuck in muscle. Since the shot man was a body builder, no damage was done by the bullets--none penetrated deep enough. Seems he had an extramarital fling & his wife couldn't wait for a divorce.

He was discharged from the ER, but we recommended he stay with a friend instead of going home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    I treated a guy who's wife shot him in the back of the head with a .25ACP that skimmed over his skull & under the subcutaneous fat. A med student used local anesthetic & a scalpel to remove it.

The other 5 slugs were in the lower neck/trapezius & back but didn't go more than a couple inches & were stuck in muscle. Since the shot man was a body builder, no damage was done by the bullets--none penetrated deep enough. Seems he had an extramarital fling & his wife couldn't wait for a divorce.

He was discharged from the ER, but we recommended he stay with a friend instead of going home.
    I assume he fled after being shot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I assume he fled after being shot?
    It was in the 1990s, IIRC, the police brought him in their car, and she fled with the gun. He walked in & walked out. Everyone was confused, he (the patient) was drunk as a skunk & thought she hit him with something, as did the cops. I mean, poeple who are shot, die, right?

I do remember when she showed up screaming at him with her family, she was arrested with some chromed .25 on her--empty. They installed metal detectors soon after.

OTOH, I missed the drive-by shooting on the ER by 24hours--I was off that night.

Phili! Wow.

Feedback Score
    I've seen a 12 gauge slug deflect off of the bill of a baseball cap...at ~15 yards.

Bill
    "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil
    ... you know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC, former 1st Marine Division CO

Feedback Score
    About two weeks ago, we had a triple shooting (drug related). .380 cal. One dude dead (single headshot, two in the chest). Other two victims both shot but not seriously injured. One of the two had a round to the face and side of the head - both bounced off the skull, with a third in the shoulder. Last victim put her hands up in front of her face and had one round bounce off the bones in each hand hitting nothing else (one round per hand). Lots of ricocheting.

Feedback Score
    Shooting against Louis Awerbucks "Mirage" target system I witnessed a 12 gauge slug deflect from the bill of a ballcap....in 2 other classes I saw the same with 45 and 9mm handguns....223 in another class...assume Nothing when shooting for real...that's why you break the tunnel vision and cover down !!

Feedback Score

Ricochet off people

I've also treated people shot in the head with 22, 32,38, and 380 that the round pierced the scalp and followed the skull and exited ...no penetration of the skull
    Last edited by shootinmedic; 04-02-17 at 19:09. Reason: Mispelled word

Feedback Score
    Somewhat of a thread resurrection here. But it's worth it. I don't want to give away too much. So, I'll leave it at this. It's a ricochet caught on camera in the Middle East...which happened to be a tracer round. Absolutely crazy. Bullets do funny things...

Last edited by Kdubya; 04-11-17 at 20:27. Reason: Embedded video
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    We know this happens, seemingly more with pistol bullets, and Jim Cirillo wrote about it.

The theory is the slower, fatter, and rounder the bullet the more likely it is to ricochet off the clothing or bone/skull of a bad guy. With years of jhp's smacking people has this theory been upheld? Or has empirical data proven not shown a correlation?

I found one study that showed no difference. But the bullets were fmj vs sjhp and the lead front of the sjhp simply caved in upon striking the hard barrier used in the test and became rounded during the strike.

I'm especially talking about smaller, slower bullets like .380, .38 special from snubs, .32 and .25. Are the jhp's/sjhp/Lhp's in these calibers really less likely to bounce off bone or is it still just a theory?
    Even faster rifle rounds can ricochet off bone depending on angle. Awhile back I called in two coyote, using my AR, they winded me and started trotting away at an angle (towards a trail camera I had about a mile away). I had the crosshairs on the head of the coyote in the rear when I fired and I saw it somersault down to the ground, assuming it was dead, I then tried to double up and get the first coyote but missed.

I went to where I downed the first coyote I shot at and couldn't find it. I only found a small tuft of fur and messed up dirt from where it fell. Later that day I got my trail camera card. On it, about an hour after I shot at those dogs, was a coyote with what appeared to me to be wounds that matched what I just shot. The green arrow is a nice entry hole and the red arrow is a nice exit splash. Combine that with the open mouth (I have lots of coyotes on camera and never an open mouth, I'm thinking I destroyed it's sinuses and couldn't breath through nose) and I'm nearly positive this is the one I hit. I'm thinking the coyote fell b/c it was stunned and then got back up and took off.

coyote_zpsqjaz3mru.jpg
    Last edited by imaguy3; 04-15-17 at 10:30.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast