Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Methods for Handgun storage outdoors? Advice wanted.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Methods for Handgun storage outdoors? Advice wanted.

Any advice on the best way to store a handgun for corrosion protection?

I'm not up to date on the latest storage material technologies and found no pertinent info online, only long term sealed bags. Looking for something with corrosion inhibitors in the plastic if it exists.

It's kept in a four wheel UTV that is in a locked farm equipment storage & repair shed near the house.

I own & live on a isolated cattle ranch, at the dead-end of my private , gravel road, and own the land on both sides all the way to pavement. We don't get strangers showing up, almost zero theft in this area.

There are no kids on the ranch to get at it.

I plan to keep my new GP100 .44 special ( stainless) and occasionally my 1911 in my UTV 's front storage box in a zippered pistol case. This pistol is considered a tool needed as part of the daily routine, just like the rest of the tools I carry in the UTV. Way too far to go back to the house if it is not readily accessible.

Quick & easy access is a requirement, I use the UTV 4 wheeler checking cows and working in my pastures.

Thank you in advance gentlemen.

Respectfully,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 03-17-17 at 15:04. Reason: Clarified location
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You're joking, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    I live in the country, "ALMOST" zero theft, no kids on the ranch to get at it.
    Almost means that it still does happen.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Climate controlled safe in house. Grab it on your way out of the house in a paddle holster. If you still plan to keep it on the vehicle...just ship it to my ffl and save them the trouble of breaking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Theft concerns aside; variances in temp/humidity would prevent me from leaving any handgun outside, in a glovebox.
    Only sure bet is in a controlled environment indoors/gunsafe.

Feedback Score
    Stainless used for guns is generally not very good for corrosion.

That said, on of the Silicon based water repellant or a wax might be good. Lube interactions unknow.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    This isn't a joke.

I don't live in an urban or suburban area so those opinions of how firearms should be stored and locked up are of no value to me. They don't apply to my daily needs out west on a cattle ranch.

If you want to discuss your views and advice for living in developed areas, I recommend you start your own thread.

Let's allow this thread to solve the technical problem that was asked.

Respectfully,
    RFA
    Last edited by Ready.Fire.Aim; 03-17-17 at 10:25.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    If you are committed to leaving a loaded gun on your ATV unattended during all hours of the day and night then at least consider a padded lock box with silica gel inside to try to prevent corrosion. Also chain or wire tire the box to the frame of your ATV. Keep the key for the box with your ATV keys.

I consider guns like a bar of gold, I would never leave a bar of gold unattended or unsecured. A gun unlike anything else can be used irresponsibly or illegally and "almost never" is not a good enough margin to believe your gun won't be stolen, found by a friend's child, or otherwise protected from misuse or abuse. You will face criminal and civil penalties if you store your firearm in an unreasonably safe way. We are trying to advise you that what you WANT to do is something you SHOULD NOT do and is an unreasonable way to proceed. Keep your firearm secured in your house. Grabbing it on the way out is the absolute best option for security and quick availability in an emergency.
    Last edited by st381183; 03-15-17 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Google 'Aloksak', maybe a larger one of these will help.

aLOKSAK

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    Grab it on your way out of the house in a paddle holster.
    This right here is the right answer. Easy on, easy off...never "over there on the ATV" when you need it, never "out there on the ATV" when you're indoors at night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast