Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Methods for Handgun storage outdoors? Advice wanted.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-daka-pouch-large

Maybe this and throw a silica pack in it too. What is typical humidity out where you are? May not need the silica pack. When I grew up in MT, you could throw a cup of water on the concrete and watch it evaporate off. Spill some gasoline and it was vapor as soon as it hit the ground.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8uTpdQrdpoE
    Last edited by 1_click_off; 03-17-17 at 18:32.

Feedback Score
    My brother kept a S&W 19 in the diddy hatch of his ATV in a crown royal bag for 10 years or more. Last time I looked at it the poor thing was rusty as could be, it's now kept in the tool box of the tractor. I'd at least douse it with a coat of fluid film but that's not the way he rolls, he picked out one of his junkers from his collection so he wouldn't have to worry about the bluing.
    The Jeep is Family

Feedback Score
    I have to agree with everyone else that if it were a gun I cared about, I'd carry it with me, even if it is stored on your ATV all day. This is how I use my Sig P938 for day to day use where I'm not "going out."

Wake up, grab it off the nightstand where it sleeps in its holster, clip it onto my belt as I walk out to the truck. It spends most of the time in the door pocket of my truck holstered while I'm driving around or working on job sites, etc. It is easily clipped back onto my belt if I go into a store, gas station, or restaurant, and then comes in and hangs out on the coffee table from the time I get home to the time I go to bed.

It is always handy, not very prone to theft, and handling it continually lets me see if it is rusting, tritium falls out of the night sights, etc. There are ways I would trust to store a pistol long term in outside conditions, but not where you'd want to reach in and grab it and put it back day in and day out. Think a vacuum sealed food saver bag full of cosmoline or similar.

If you are adamant about leaving it in the ATV 24/7, I'd get something like a Glock police trade in, wax the metal as well as possible, not have to worry about the polymer frame getting stuff all over your hands, and shoot the ammo out of it every other month and reload it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just bought a small Pelican case 1170 for air travel. It's big enough to carry my pistol, 2 mags, small box of ammo and small enough to slip into my roller bag. If you aren't worried about theft, strap it onto your ATV with bungies and you should be GTG. I got mine on sale at Cabelas for $27. They're off sale now but you can find them in the mid thirty dollar range - possibly less if you shop around. It's as watertight as any other Pelican Case so it should offer a reasonably good layer of protection for your firearm.

This is the same model I bought. Link
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would also not store it in a shed. That said, the op views the weapon as a tool like a chain saw or other power tool. He's calculated the risk, which he is comfortable with. If stolen or damaged, his business(ranch)will buy another. I suspect that after 10 years pass, the weapon in question will be mechanically perfect but will have many surface marks and dings from being carried daily by a man who frets about weather, commodity prices, beef prices, and debt. With this weapon he will have killed rattlesnakes, feral hogs, an unwary coyote or two, a few jack rabbits, does for the pot, and a few nuisance armadillos. Then one day he'll retire his handgun and place it on his night stand because he really did develop an affection for this tool and had to take it home.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Robar np3+, designed for wet, hostile environments. No personal experience, but reviews are good.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I have done cerakote work for area farmers for the same reasons...but if you dabble in machine guns, replacing a work vehicle pistol once in a while isn't a big deal😀
    I would just use a "barricade" type product and do the amount of maintenance your comfortable with.
    As mentioned earlier, depending on your environment, the maintenance schedule could vary greatly. I see a lot of perks to a glock type pistol for this task. Good luck-

Feedback Score
    In the past, I've known guys to apply paste wax to their guns in high-humidity areas. Sounds kind of odd, but many claim it does the trick.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OP, I know you're not looking to carry in a traditional belt holster as you've said it gets in the way while working.

Have you considered Hill People Gear's kit bag? Its like a fanny pack that goes across your chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Get a Glock freezer bag and desiccant packs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast