Thread: Opinion on .308 Enfield SMLE's...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Opinion on .308 Enfield SMLE's...

I am interested in an Enfield SMLE but would want one in .308 not .303 as that ammo can be difficult to find and/or expensive.

Is there any reason I should NOT get one of the Ishapore Indian made .308 models? Specifically any safety or defect issues associated with that series.

Thanks.

TED

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Generally solid guns unless you get a bubba'd one or just one that had heavy use. I know they are fine with commercial ammo but someone else may be better able to tell you if there is any ammo to stay away from.

I have a few Enfields but all are 303. Since I don't shoot them often the price of ammo isn't a big deal. Typically buy PPU at around $14/20

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've had two. A '67 & a '68. Both were very accurate with lighter weight bullets. (150g or less) I think the twist on these are 1-12" which is why I couldn't get heavier bullets to group well.
    I had no issues firing anything .308 or 7.62mm in either of them.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I bought two years ago. Ishapore .308 Enfields. They sit in back of one of the safes.

Local guy I knew needed money and made a great deal, I was buying IMBEL FAL kits from him at the time.

Solid rifle, no worries using commercial 7.62 loads, like 147g FMJ.

Have fun,
    RFA
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013