Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do COLD showers have merit?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Didn't know it got that cold in Iraq. I'm with you, screw cold showers.
    Where we were in the eastern part of Iraq it would get down into the 30s regularly in the winter with the low 40s being normal. I think the fact that the water was already pretty cold when it was brought to the location and then being in a thin metal box that was exposed to constant cold wind probably made it worse.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hate you guys.... Yesterday my water heater broke and I had to take my first cold shower in years. Just a coincidence it happened the day after responding to this threast???? I dont think so. HAHAHA
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I hate you guys.... Yesterday my water heater broke and I had to take my first cold shower in years. Just a coincidence it happened the day after responding to this threast???? I dont think so. HAHAHA
    Sorry about that. I'd suggest you look into tankless water heaters, especially if you are using electric.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sorry about that. I'd suggest you look into tankless water heaters, especially if you are using electric.
    I was able to fix it. Mine is gas. Drained it earlier in the day and when I went to restart it the pilot light wouldn't stay on. It was a dirty thermopile sensor. So i took the door to the furnace chamber off and cleaned it. Well when I put it back on, one of the screws broke off in its slot. By that time it was 2300 hours so I decided to fix it the next day. The next morning I got a small tap and die extraction set and tried to extract the screw. But I ended up just stripping the threading in the screw hole. So I got a size bigger self tapping screw and some Loctite and forced that bastard shut. HAHAHA.

The water heater is a crap unit that builders get for cheap and we plan to replace it soon. But now we can replace it on our timeframe and not the week after we spent a bunch of money taking the kids to the Renaissance Fair and the aquarium. Ive looked into a tankless water heater but from what Ive read and heard from customers, the hard water we have here in southern Az will gunk it up even if you run a soft water system. Ill most likely just go with another tank unit as the cost, install, and maintenance of a tankless unit looks like its going to far exceed the cost of a very good tank unit.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
    Cold showers were mandatory during BCT as they told us the water heater was busted, but so was the AC so.... Summer on Ft Sill made the cold showers bearable though
    I did Navy boot at Great Lakes in the winter. The barracks were hotter then hell--the heat turned way up--and the showers were so hot you could barely see through the steam. It was like a sauna. They were good showers, but they were 30-second showers.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I did Navy boot at Great Lakes in the winter. The barracks were hotter then hell--the heat turned way up--and the showers were so hot you could barely see through the steam. It was like a sauna. They were good showers, but they were 30-second showers.
    Boot camp at Paris Island May-August. On family day, the day before graduation my dad, a Korean War era Marine said we were soft because there was AC in the barracks. I told him it sucked. It was freezing at night. I kept my PT sweatshirt under my pillow and wore it every night because it was so damn cold!
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Cold Showers Suck! We went over fifty days w/o a shower during the Guf War. I used a canteen cup of water ever other day to take a sponge bath and shave. We came back to camp and we had Showers with the science lab pull down emergency Showers heads. We were timed too. Not sure how long it was 2 min sounds right. Nobody came close to going over. It was too damn cold. The wooden Showers had their holding tank painted black in an attempt to warm the water. The water wasn't in there long enough to get warm. It still felt pretty good to get wet and soap up but soap doesn't work very well with cold water! When we go to use real toilets and shower a few weeks latter my tan washed off! It was NASTY! That was the best dump and shower of my life.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123