After having the parts kicking around for months I finally decided to build my first retro carbine.
To kick the whole process off, I sent a BCM 14.5 inch barrel, A2X extended flash hider, handguard cap and a non-F front sight base off to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. You might notice I didn't mention the barrel nut in my list...Yep I forgot to send it, but John and I did a barrel nut exchange where he simply put one that he had on there and kept the one I sent separately after realizing my mistake. John had my parts for I think a total of like six hours before sending them back my way. He did a great job and I anticipate giving him more of my business in the future.

Once I got the barrel back I did the rest of the assembly myself. It was a learning experience as I'd never assembled my own upper before, only lowers, but in the end everything seemed to come together.

The carbine is patterned on this one and some other similar ones in IDF service that seem to be 653s rebarreled with M4 style barrels. (Although without the handguard bands it could probably pose as a GUU-5/P as well)

I do have standard charging handles in my parts bin but the Badger Tac Latch seems like a plausible upgrade to an IDF carbine, and compared to the charging handles out now like the Raptor and the BCM Gunfighter the Badger could perhaps be considered slightly retro by comparison, and I just like extended charging handles. Stock is a Colt N stock, and the receiver extension is a Colt 4-position, which although not as retro as the original style, seems to jive with the above pic of the actual IDF gun.
Handguards are 6-Hole, probably Rock River IIRC, although I think the carbine in the photo above has M4 handguards so I may switch to those at some point.
Rear aperture is an A2 type, just personal preference on my part.
Lower is a Stag A2 style, not correct I know. As soon as I can get an A1 lower I will probably swap the upper on to that and use this lower for an impending C8 style build that's in the planning stages.

I think at some point I'd like the whole thing refinished in a more correct Colt grey as well. I'd prefer a battle worn look but honestly I'm not big on artificially wearing the finish on my guns, I prefer they to come by it honestly.

The real test will of course be firing it, so we'll see how that goes....