Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first retro-ish build - IDF "mongrel" carbine.

Feedback Score
    I like the black finish too. The upper and lower I ordered from NoDak Spud for my SBR is their version of Colt Gray. Doesn't look bad but if I ever have to recoat it for any reason I will have to do both receivers as it will be hard for anyone locally to match.

I did order an A2/A3 lower in black and I have an A2 upper in black. I prefer black actually because it's easier to live with IMHO.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score

Cool

I'm glad somebody is finally getting in to Isreali Colts a bit on here. I've got a strange and mysterious complete A2 upper assembly that I cannot quite figure out what it really is. It appears 100% new, complete with full front and rear A2 sights and BCG but it has a new Colt M4 16" barrel. I ran it down to some folks on one of the Colt forums and somebody suggested it was a possible build for the military of one of the Arab countries but nobody can really nail it down. I never thought it might've been a build for israel (no ... I'm NOT trying to infer that Israel is an "Arab" country). Right now its late and I got to hit the rack but I'll post more about it tomorrow and maybe somebody will recognize it.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    personally I like the black finsh of this gun. It just works for me. then again my newest toy has a bi tone between black and the actual colt gray.Attachment 44532 seems to be the younger sister to my build.
    also the brownells a1 upper is a Nodak Spud which is what you already have.
    That SBR is awesome. Nodak Spud apparently manufactures the retro uppers and lowers for Brownells, but some other outfit handles the final machining, which explains things like on the early run of these uppers, the channel in the carry handle being machined just ever so slightly narrower than on a Colt etc.. so as to prevent use of most carry handle optics mounts without modding the mount or the carry handle. Brownells apparently is making sure subsequent runs don't have this issue however. Technically I could return mine and exchange it for one with the carry handle machined in spec but I'm not apt to put optics on this particular gun or on the other build I'll likely finish up this week (A1 rifle).

Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    I'm glad somebody is finally getting in to Isreali Colts a bit on here. I've got a strange and mysterious complete A2 upper assembly that I cannot quite figure out what it really is. It appears 100% new, complete with full front and rear A2 sights and BCG but it has a new Colt M4 16" barrel. I ran it down to some folks on one of the Colt forums and somebody suggested it was a possible build for the military of one of the Arab countries but nobody can really nail it down. I never thought it might've been a build for israel (no ... I'm NOT trying to infer that Israel is an "Arab" country). Right now its late and I got to hit the rack but I'll post more about it tomorrow and maybe somebody will recognize it.
    Sounds like a potentially interesting backstory on that upper. I believe I've only seen one photo of a carbine with an A2 upper in IDF service. It had an M4 barrel too IIRC, probably 14.5 though. A2s are definitely less common over there but it seems like almost anything is within the realm of possibility with Israeli ARs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sorry to bring up an old post. I just sent a 6720 barrel assembly, along with a Colt A1 upper, to John to turn into an IDF-type upper. Any issues I should be aware of sighting it in with the A1 upper and "F" FSB?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post. I just sent a 6720 barrel assembly, along with a Colt A1 upper, to John to turn into an IDF-type upper. Any issues I should be aware of sighting it in with the A1 upper and "F" FSB?

Thanks
    an a1 upper will sight in fine with an f marked fsb

your front sight post will prob be turned down into the base a turn or two. alternately you could pick up a shorter front sight post or just file the one you have down a bit.

i thought the 6720 barrel's had a standard fsb and not an f marked one. i sent a 6720 barrel to adco a few years ago to have it cut down and it didn't have an f marked fsb.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd love to have a well worn AR that looks like the IDF one in the photo. New finishes look nice and all, but they have no character.

There are Cerakote outfits out there that do battleworn finishes, but to me you just can't beat honest wear to the original finish.
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_1iviper View Post

your front sight post will prob be turned down into the base a turn or two. alternately you could pick up a shorter front sight post or just file the one you have down a bit.

i thought the 6720 barrel's had a standard fsb and not an f marked one. i sent a 6720 barrel to adco a few years ago to have it cut down and it didn't have an f marked fsb.
    I know the 6520s did not have a "F" FSB, but that had an A2 upper. I never even looked at the 6720 before transferring it from shipping boxes - guess I'll find out soon enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the_1iviper View Post

Most have come with the standard height A2 FSBs, but there was a run of 6720s that had "F" marked FSBs with shaved off bayonet lugs. This particular run also included the detachable carry handle instead of BUIS.

You really have to check the front sight post when looking at the 6720. They have come with the standard height rifle FSP, standard height tapered carbine FSP and the taller 9mm FSP. For some reason Colt has no standards when it comes to the 6720.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12