Thread: 77Gr SMK With CFE223

Feedback Score

77Gr SMK With CFE223

been out of the reloading game for a while, and I cannot for the life of me find any of my reloading books, i think my dads got them at his place some where. Im trying to find some load data on 77 grain SMK's and CFE223 that i recently picked up. I have written down on my scratch pad that 22.5 grains is the start load, and 24.3 is the max load, with a COL of 2.260. does this sound correct? looking to make some TAC & CFE loads for my SPR testing.
    not looking for anyones secret recipe, just looking for the general safe load data. (i do have my TAC data already)

Thanks all.

Feedback Score
    I found that 24.0gr of CFE under a 77gr SMK shoots quite well and doesn't display any signs of pressure. Shoots well enough I didn't see the need to try the extra .3gr maybe I should give it a try on a 30 round batch and shoot three 10 shot groups.

Feedback Score
    Look at the Hodgdon reloading page. They have data for the 77gr SMK and CFE223.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

Feedback Score
    I personally did not find any nodes with CFE223 that beat my TAC loads for velocity, SD, and group size in 77gr bullets. I think the burn rate for CFE223 is slower and it pressure spikes faster once you reach the max. That said I didn't load over the published max for hodgdon data. It's possible a good node was past the published max but I don't like pushing those limits much.
    Last edited by B52U; 03-18-17 at 10:23.

Feedback Score
    I should also add that CFE223 seems to leave a metric-crap ton of greasy carbon in the gun on lighter loads, but zero copper as advertised.