Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Case Trimmer

Feedback Score

Electric Case Trimmer

Has anyone been using an electric model like this?

I'm not loading precision ammo, but .223's for plinking and I just wore out my Lee case trimmer after only 400 rounds. It works great for the low volume of .303's that I load, but the screw-on shellholder's threads for .223 wore out real fast. Also, I'm rather sick of trimming them by hand anyway...
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I used the Little Crow tool with good sucess for quite a while before I got out of reloading.

https://littlecrowgunworks.com/produ...v=7516fd43adaa

Just chuck it in a drill. I didn't full length size either, just bumping the shoulder back to match them better for my rifle's headspace which seemed a little on the large side of the spec.

Feedback Score
    I got fed up with using a drill mounted trimmer. So I bit the bullet so to speak, and acquired a Dillon Rapid Trim 1500 and a Dillon size/trim die.

Took a bit of trial and error to get it set how I wanted, I found that since the size trim die doesn't have a neck expander ball trimming to minimum length is not ideal. When you run the brass through a neck expander it pulls some of the expanded length back. So I set it to trim to max length and now the brass falls exactly in the middle of the high and low step of my case gauge.

One downside is that the motor assembly and vacuum manifold are large enough that I'm unable to mount the neck expander die on my XL650 toolhead. So I get to run the brass through the machine one more time to neck expand the brass. Guess I could put the neck expander on the final load toolhead.

Either way sizing and trimming at the same time, while I do nothing but crank the press handle is bad ass.

Feedback Score
    Dillon rapid trim and sizing die for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Nevermind, answered my own question with better reading comprehension.
    Last edited by B52U; 03-17-17 at 17:53.

Feedback Score
    Giraud tri-way user here. It's fast, but holding the brass makes fingers tired after a few hundred. The beauty of it is it does chamfer and debur in the same step saving you time.
    Last edited by B52U; 03-17-17 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Giraud tri-way user here. It's fast, but holding the brass makes fingers tired after a few hundred. The beauty of it is it does chamfer and debur in the same step saving you time.

THAT's the ticket! Thank you and thanks to everyone else as well!
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    Chamfering and deburring is a waste of time and totally unnecessary if you have the right equipment set up.

For example the Dillon RT cutter is angled in such a way that the outside doesn't have much trim flashing. Running the brass into a neck expander knocks the inside flashing off.

If you tumble in stainless steel media, all that crap gets knocked off anyway.

Feedback Score
    I haven't chamber or debut since I bought the dillon trimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    This. If you tumble with stainless media, which you should be, the chamfering and deburring isn't necessary. Everything is rounded off afterwards. I trim cases once and the primer pockets loosen before I see a need to trim again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Chamfering and deburring is a waste of time and totally unnecessary if you have the right equipment set up.

For example the Dillon RT cutter is angled in such a way that the outside doesn't have much trim flashing. Running the brass into a neck expander knocks the inside flashing off.

If you tumble in stainless steel media, all that crap gets knocked off anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast