Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HD Penetration Testing...in the Home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    When I see people say that they are worried about over penetration, I immediately think "lack of skill or training." I would choose my ammo based on its ability to kill people, not how well it doesn't do when I miss.

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, ideally I would hit my intended target and I very likely would at apartment distance. Would I waking up, in the dark and just throwing on my glasses? I would hope so but until it happens all I can do is train to a higher standard like making head shots at 25 yards with all my handguns, even the 3" .357 .
    Some people are thick, some are thin, some are heavily muscled others not so much. Will a quality HP open up and stop in soft tissue? Probably, but can I count on it?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The hell with it. M855a1 or 75gr gold dot, or 150gr gold dot, depending on the day and the rifle.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Yes, ideally I would hit my intended target and I very likely would at apartment distance. Would I waking up, in the dark and just throwing on my glasses? I would hope so but until it happens all I can do is train to a higher standard like making head shots at 25 yards with all my handguns, even the 3" .357 .
    Some people are thick, some are thin, some are heavily muscled others not so much. Will a quality HP open up and stop in soft tissue? Probably, but can I count on it?
    If a bullet passes through someone and then throw a wall, it isn't going to have enough energy to kill anyone.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    If a bullet passes through someone and then throw a wall, it isn't going to have enough energy to kill anyone.

C4

Ironically enough, fmj pistol rounds come the closest, and it's seems that's what most untrained people gravitate towards, which is doubly ironic because pistols are the hardest guns to shoot.

Not replying to you, Grant, just adding to the thought.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Ironically enough, fmj pistol rounds come the closest
    Or a hunting rifle (30-30, 308, 270, etc). I realize that is outside the scope of our discussion, but they do get used for SD.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Or a hunting rifle (30-30, 308, 270, etc). I realize that is outside the scope of our discussion, but they do get used for SD.

Andy
    But most people don't rely on fmj 3030 for hd, or 270. I could see 308 fmj being used, and it penetrates the same as 9mm fmj in gel. Not sure if it frags faster than 9mm through building materials.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-02-17 at 22:38.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I agree, a 30-30 would not be my first pick for defense now, but it was when I owned a Winchester 94 and a Ruger MKII. I am talking about soft point hunting bullets, by the way.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-03-17 at 12:51.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    But most people don't rely on fmj 3030 for hd, or 270. I could see 308 fmj being used, and it penetrates the same as 9mm fmj in gel. Not sure if it drags faster than 9mm through building materials.
    I've put .308 through 10" oak logs before. Not so much with 9mm. Further, I've stopped shotgun slugs with 3" diameter trees. Solid steel ddupleks slugs at that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234