Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD Penetration Testing...in the Home.

Feedback Score

HD Penetration Testing...in the Home.

Interesting video of the guys from Valor Ridge testing the penetration of some popular standard and HD 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, and even some .308.

Some of the rounds tested include standard Ball, Speer GDs (two different weights), TBBC, SMK, & HST. Nothing earth shattering but some of the results were a bit surprising. My favorite takeaway...

..."Refrigerators aren't cover."
    Last edited by Kdubya; 03-18-17 at 01:38. Reason: Embedded Video
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Interesting video of the guys from Valor Ridge testing the penetration of some popular standard and HD 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, and even some .308.

Some of the rounds tested include standard Ball, Speer GDs (two different weights), TBBC, SMK, & HST. Nothing earth shattering but some of the results were a bit surprising. My favorite takeaway...

..."Refrigerators aren't cover."
    Excellent video. Reminds me of the old box-o-truth website and testing.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Excellent video. Reminds me of the old box-o-truth website and testing.
    Yup, great stuff. It's always fun when people see what they "know" tested and proven wrong for the first time.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Yup, great stuff. It's always fun when people see what they "know" tested and proven wrong for the first time.
    Exactly. I suspect it causes one to cling slightly less bitterly to one's dogma.

And it's always fun to shoot shit.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I thought the selection of ammo in the test was excellent. I'd venture to guess that many people in the shooting community have at least one of the included rounds loaded up and ready to go. I know I do, and it definitely gave me some things to think about. Hopefully they put out some more videos of this level of quality and relevance.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Looks fun. Was interesting.

Surprised they didn't have a shotgun and some buckshot and slugs available.

And a .22 or .25.

enjoyed it.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Not trying to be a douche because that was fairly interesting to watch, but I'd love to see one of the guys who shoots gelatin do something like this so we could see the actual ballistic performance of the round after hitting these barriers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TF82 View Post
    Not trying to be a douche because that was fairly interesting to watch, but I'd love to see one of the guys who shoots gelatin do something like this so we could see the actual ballistic performance of the round after hitting these barriers.
    I'd thought the same thing. As it stands, I definitely find value in what they did. But, it would have been even better if they'd introduced some gel. Granted, with all the rounds they fired, that would have required a lot of ballistic gel. If they'd used the Clear Ballistic stuff it might have been doable; as its not temp sensitive and is reusable. However, the results would have then been questioned by some, as there's evidence to suggest that Clear BG is not a 1:1 match for the traditional BG.

Still, I like that they did this as a standalone test and took multiple shots with each load. It provides a rough expectation of how each of those rounds would react with potential misses in a HD situation. We always want to see what type of performance will be had with hits, but data on misses may be even more critical. I'm not under any illusion that I'd be guaranteed to have a 100% hit ratio if it came to defending my home. So, having an expectation when it comes to misses can help to mitigate the risk to any innocent individuals nearby.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    There is a bit of data through drywall into gel. Iirc federal shows the test for each round. I think it's one layer. It would be interesting to see, say fed fusion though increasing layers of drywall and gel to see the effect.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-19-17 at 22:02.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    I'd thought the same thing. As it stands, I definitely find value in what they did. But, it would have been even better if they'd introduced some gel. Granted, with all the rounds they fired, that would have required a lot of ballistic gel. If they'd used the Clear Ballistic stuff it might have been doable; as its not temp sensitive and is reusable. However, the results would have then been questioned by some, as there's evidence to suggest that Clear BG is not a 1:1 match for the traditional BG.

Still, I like that they did this as a standalone test and took multiple shots with each load. It provides a rough expectation of how each of those rounds would react with potential misses in a HD situation. We always want to see what type of performance will be had with hits, but data on misses may be even more critical. I'm not under any illusion that I'd be guaranteed to have a 100% hit ratio if it came to defending my home. So, having an expectation when it comes to misses can help to mitigate the risk to any innocent individuals nearby.
    No need since Speer, Federal and Hornady already have after barrier performance gel shots on their websites. You can substitute the shots on steel for the refrigerator

I think its more illuminating how much FMJs and OTMs deviate wildly after multiple barriers.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 03-19-17 at 22:07.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast