Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HD Penetration Testing...in the Home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    No need since Speer, Federal and Hornady already have after barrier performance gel shots on their websites. You can substitute the shots on steel for the refrigerator

I think its more illuminating how much FMJs and OTMs deviate wildly after multiple barriers.
    Lol. Good point.

You're definitely right that there's plenty of other info out there from the MFGs and YouTube ballisticians when it comes to gel and barriers. Still, as much as I trust the folks over at Federal, Speer, and Hornady, it's nice to have additional data from outside parties to verify.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    There is a bit of data through drywall into gel. Iirc federal shows the test for each round. I think it's one layer. It would be interesting to see, say fed fusion though increasing layers of drywall and gel to see the effect.
    Well, as soon as the weather breaks I might be able to run this test. I was gifted some Clear Ballistics Gel last year, but have not yet had a chance to use it. I have a little bit of TBBC and 50gr TSX, a nice pile of Remington CLUB, and bunch of Fusion and GDs. Also did a bit of remodeling last Fall. So I've got plenty of Drywall, 2x4s, and Plywood. Although, the coolest thing is probably the windshield from our Cherokee Trailhawk that I saved. Damn rock cracked it on the highway. Definitely sucked spending the money to replace it...might as well make lemonade. So, for anyone that can look past the use of Clear Ballistics instead of genuine Ordnance Gel, I'll be attempting to finally put it to use this Spring. Maybe I'll put up a poll to see what everyone wants to see first.

As for other barriers, I've had a thought rolling around in my head for a while. Has anyone ever come across testing with a memory foam mattress acting as the barrier? It might sound dumb, but I've wondered how it would handle some of the common pistol and rifle rounds. Those memory foam mattresses are extremely dense and can be pretty thick. So, I'd imagine one would at least absorb a nice chunk of a bullet's energy. I did find one thread that essentially asked the same question, but for mattresses in general. A couple people talked about NDs making their way through a traditional mattress and box spring, but that's not all that surprising. If nothing else, hopefully I'm not the only one that's had this random thought about memory foam.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    "Refrigerators aren't cover."
    This made me think of when I saw locals using a sand filled refrigerator is a part of their battle position while OCONUS. Better than nothing but definitely not the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DCtheGB View Post
    This made me think of when I saw locals using a sand filled refrigerator is a part of their battle position while OCONUS. Better than nothing but definitely not the best.

I could see that being a decent "improvised" option if nothing better was available. It would be interesting to fill a box or tote/tub with sand and see how far rifle rounds would penetrate. There's a company who makes bullet traps filled with rubber. IIRC, most of their traps are only about 2-3 feet deep. And, from what I've seen, they stop some pretty serious rounds. I'd imagine sand would do about the same.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdubya View Post
    Well, as soon as the weather breaks I might be able to run this test. I was gifted some Clear Ballistics Gel last year, but have not yet had a chance to use it. I have a little bit of TBBC and 50gr TSX, a nice pile of Remington CLUB, and bunch of Fusion and GDs. Also did a bit of remodeling last Fall. So I've got plenty of Drywall, 2x4s, and Plywood. Although, the coolest thing is probably the windshield from our Cherokee Trailhawk that I saved. Damn rock cracked it on the highway. Definitely sucked spending the money to replace it...might as well make lemonade. So, for anyone that can look past the use of Clear Ballistics instead of genuine Ordnance Gel, I'll be attempting to finally put it to use this Spring. Maybe I'll put up a poll to see what everyone wants to see first.

As for other barriers, I've had a thought rolling around in my head for a while. Has anyone ever come across testing with a memory foam mattress acting as the barrier? It might sound dumb, but I've wondered how it would handle some of the common pistol and rifle rounds. Those memory foam mattresses are extremely dense and can be pretty thick. So, I'd imagine one would at least absorb a nice chunk of a bullet's energy. I did find one thread that essentially asked the same question, but for mattresses in general. A couple people talked about NDs making their way through a traditional mattress and box spring, but that's not all that surprising. If nothing else, hopefully I'm not the only one that's had this random thought about memory foam.
    Hmm never thought about that.

I'm curious about hp clogging with it, now that you got me thinking.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    As my buddy always says, the perfect back stop IS the bad guy. Bullets are going to pass through most everything in your house. Don't worry about it (and don't miss). ;-)

C4

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    This was pretty cool Thanks for the link.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Hmm never thought about that.

I'm curious about hp clogging with it, now that you got me thinking.
    Definitely possible that it could clog a HP. Frankly, I'd only been thinking about the density of memory foam. Makes me want to test it even more now.

I've just always thought that if I somehow ended up hunkered down in the bedroom, a dresser and the 14" memory foam mattress would make a pretty good barricade/barrier. Likely scenario? Uhhhh No. Fun to ponder? I've wasted time considering far more unusual things

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    As my buddy always says, the perfect back stop IS the bad guy. Bullets are going to pass through most everything in your house. Don't worry about it (and don't miss). ;-)

C4
    Oh, the bad guy would certainly be A backstop

Point taken on the pass through. Any self defense round that can't defeat common barriers in the home probably isn't much of a defensive round to begin with. So, hopefully their next video covers the "don't miss" aspect.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DCtheGB View Post

No, that was some solid operatin' brother! Refrigerators are about 2' thick. If it is full of sand, that is like a 3 sand bags deep wall. I bet it would stop 7.62x51 (or 54) easy, I'll take that ghetto bunker if it's all I got any day.
    "The world's a dangerous place – we can help." -www.portlandfirearmtraining.com
    NRA LE Handgun-Shotgun Instructor/Life Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast