Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong

Feedback Score

What am I doing wrong

This is the decapping pin of a fl resize Redding die. Brand new! I got it in the mail today, had resized about 150 rds and bam, this happened. I bought these days because the same thing had happened to my rcbs dies. Reloading on a Dillon 650xl. Any ideas of what the problem is? They aren't crimped primers

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Did you get a hold of a Berdan primed case?

Feedback Score
    No, it wasn't

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    OK.......I've seen flash holes that were under sized. Decapping pin basically seizes in the hole and the leverage of the press does the rest. Also, did the decapping stem maybe loosen , get wobbly and then miss the flash hole? This is a tough one.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You have to 100% rely on feel when punching primers. I'm not patting myself on the back... but I've never broken or bent a decap pin. I'm robotic with the step to where I run it like a two stage trigger. Take up the slack to where the pin hits the anvil, and then punch it out. I can feel the position of the handle when the brass has a blockage in the flash hole, and if it's out of whack, I stop.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If your running the factory heads, you might think about upgrading to the bolt on machined ones.

Also make sure your rod assembly is tight.

Feedback Score
    I've broken more than my share, different dies when I changed from pistol to rifle cases on my 650 also. None recently

1st Is the decapping pin just deep enough to punch the primer out and no more?
    Reason if the case wobbles at all during the upstroke your off center and hitting the side of base and not the flash hole
    Thats because in my limited experience the case is not fully in the die & centered before the decapping pin hits.
    Just as you think you have a good rhythm going.

2nd Is The case insert slide cam adjusted correctly? Page 37 Figure 183 in Manual, To Correctly seat case in shell Plate?

3rd Is Indexer Block Page 48 Part 18 on Machine adjust correctly? If you're getting case jumping/wobble when using machine adjust this via two screws page 48 Parts 17 till it stops.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the nut securing the pin loosened, the pin may have moved down and slightly off to one side. A suggestion for centering the decapping rod or stem which of course will center the pin: using an already decapped case, screw the rod down until the pin passes through the flash hole and then tighten the small lock ring. Make a point not to let the rod itself hit the case bottom.

Your picture shows that the rod itself is bent. That took a lot of force(effort).

Feedback Score
    The pin should only protrude a little bit below the die. I believe its about a nickels width, but the redding die instructions tell you exactly and you can use a micrometer to set. Doesn't really need to be exact, but you had that stem way too low if it made contact with the web of the case, which is only way I can see that kind of damage occurring. As Travelingchild mentiond above, make sure the case is being pushed all the way into the plate and not bouncing out. Adjust as necessary. Finally, station one should be adjusted with the die loosened and tightened with a case in the die and ram fully at the top. I ussually get the sizing to the point I want, slightly loosed the lock ring and run a case up and tighten. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    I might have had it to far down, it wasn't popping all the primers though. I have to admit, I hate reloading 223 it's nothing but a pain in the a$$. I thought it would be easier on the Dillon, apparently I was wrong.

I'll call Redding tomorrow and get replacement parts shipped. Then I'll set it back up and measure the pin to the bottom of the web if I can get my micrometer in there
    Last edited by ubet; 02-12-17 at 09:46.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast