Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OU Shotguns for the Club?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

OU Shotguns for the Club?

Looking at getting a Benelli 828U. Would like to have a nice OU for outings at the trap and skeet ranges, but I know little about the shotgun world. Don't want to get something that's $3,000 only to find out the quality really isn't there. Reviews on the Benelli look good, and was wondering if anyone here had any OUs and if you went 12 or 20 gauge etc
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Your best bet would be to handle as many different shotguns in your price range as possible, and see which feels best to you. This should also give you an idea which gun fits you the best. Ideally, find a shop which specializes in sporting shotguns. They will be able to provide the most help as far as finding the best fit is concerned.

I shoot a Browning Citori 12 gauge. However, I load my own shells and shoot the equivalent of a 20 gauge load. Breaks just as many birds as the guns that cost two or three times as much.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is your budget Euro? My general reccomendation, dollar for dollar, is the Browning Citori. Shot one peetty hard for ten years, held up very well though i retired it in 2015. Estimated round count around 75k. Beretta is another company that I have seen guys run without issue. I have yet to see anyone running the Benelli, not to say they are bad, just that no one has had one yet. Like I said dollar for dollar Browning or Beretta would be my reccomendations, 12 gauge as well, a proper sporting hun won't have much recoil and you can load them down and still be competitive, though i am hard pressed to give up anything in shot for my reloads.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What the above guys said- Browning or Beretta. I prefer Beretta just because that's what I have the most time with. The swing with various Berettas just feels right for me. I notice a slight but perceptible difference with Brownings- nothing I. An't work with but it takes a round of two to get the swing down. YMMV. See if you can rent, or buddy up and borrow. You'll find what feels right, but you need some time swinging the barrels and getting a feel for mounting, etc. Price wise, get the standard models (Citori, Silver Pigeon, etc) and save money for shells and as many rounds of trap/skeet you can. Eventually, if the bug bites hard enough, you can start putting money into custom stocks, etc, but to start you will be fine with any OU that fits. I watched a grey beard tradesman with a pump gun own a well-heeled guy with a $20k+ custom rig...the common man was a duck & upland hunter, and knew his gun. The other guy was retired, boat loads of cash and time but new to guns. No need dropping big money if you can't hit stuff consistently. You might also find used but well cared for shotguns in the classifieds at the local clubs. In my area, guys are always upgrading or thinning the herd.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Looking at getting a Benelli 828U. Would like to have a nice OU for outings at the trap and skeet ranges, but I know little about the shotgun world. Don't want to get something that's $3,000 only to find out the quality really isn't there. Reviews on the Benelli look good, and was wondering if anyone here had any OUs and if you went 12 or 20 gauge etc
    If you try to buy an OU for both trap and skeet you will end up with one that half ass works for both disciplines at best. The targets are completely different. A good all around choice wouldn't be an over and under at all. Look for a used Beretta 391 with a 30" sporting ribbed barrel. Shoot it for a while and then spend some $$$ getting the stock fitted. As with most all shooting sports... It's more about the Indian than the bow and arrow.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    O/U- Beretta or Browning, most definitely 12ga.
    Gas gun/autoloader- Beretta 391 or 400 model.
    Used guns are a good option.

Feedback Score
    725 sportier

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies. I saw the Citori but didn't know if Browning was really all that good. My only frame of reference is AR15s and...

Definitely will go with 12 gauge. 99% of the shooting I do is trap. I'd prefer an OU to an autoloader.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As mentioned above, trap and skeet are two different disciplines with two different presentations of the targets. Another option is the good old 870 in a trap set up. You can find these on GB and maybe in local shops.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I saw the Citori but didn't know if Browning was really all that good. My only frame of reference is AR15s and...

Definitely will go with 12 gauge. 99% of the shooting I do is trap. I'd prefer an OU to an autoloader.
    Why?? You really don't know much about clay target games do you. You started our asking about a gun with 28" barrels and now you shoot trap 99% of the time. Which one is it? What kind of trap games do you shoot? The most common only requires a single shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast