Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy LMT MWS or build Aero Precision?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Yeah... from somebody like me who just paid $2400 two-mags and three-months ago...

The LMT MWS is the sorriest POS rifle I've ever owned.

If you choose to purchase one, improper assembly, horrificly damaged parts from the box, and fraudulent QC docs are all in the realm of possibility.

Then you have to deal with the customer service nightmare of a company who bit off more than they could chew with these AUS/ NZ contracts trying to competently assemble and return your firearm... and when you get it, it will insta-malf on you and fail to hold any kind of a decent group with M118LR (from the appropriate PMag, since I know someone will ask) .

If you're looking for a straight-banger, I'm not sure if a rock solid option exists in the AR-10 world yet... but the world of battle rifles is out there. If you're looking for a semi-auto precision rifle... well, mine was uniquely cursed, but the CL barrel guaranteed will-not-hang with the SR-25s and OBRs of the world (duh, right?).

At best it's an el Camino.

My advice- Skip it and either save for an SR-25 or throw the equivalent money into a bolt gun that will outperform all.
    Between myself and my local friends we have four mws which are all tack drivers, along with many other people in the lmt pic thread. It definitely sucks that you had a poor experience, though. Sounds like their QC has gone down hill as demand has increased through last fall.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah... from somebody like me who just paid $2400 two-mags and three-months ago...

The LMT MWS is the sorriest POS rifle I've ever owned.

If you choose to purchase one, improper assembly, horrificly damaged parts from the box, and fraudulent QC docs are all in the realm of possibility.

Then you have to deal with the customer service nightmare of a company who bit off more than they could chew with these AUS/ NZ contracts trying to competently assemble and return your firearm... and when you get it, it will insta-malf on you and fail to hold any kind of a decent group with M118LR (from the appropriate PMag, since I know someone will ask) .

If you're looking for a straight-banger, I'm not sure if a rock solid option exists in the AR-10 world yet... but the world of battle rifles is out there. If you're looking for a semi-auto precision rifle... well, mine was uniquely cursed, but the CL barrel guaranteed will-not-hang with the SR-25s and OBRs of the world (duh, right?).

At best it's an el Camino.

My advice- Skip it and either save for an SR-25 or throw the equivalent money into a bolt gun that will outperform all.
    That's the first I've heard of reliability/quality issues with the LMT MWS, or any LMT for that matter.
    It's possible that something did sneak past QC at the factory, nothing is perfect, but that's risk with any manufacturer and LMT is better than most.

Did you buy this thing used or new?

Feedback Score
    I would love to have a rifle built by Lewis Machine Tool, but just can't afford one. Seriously, if I had the money, I would buy the LMT....that's just me.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    Did you buy this thing used or new?
    Brand new out the box, homey.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/kOKnRpzuO9A

I thought it was a minor issue, so I gave the castle nut another 3/4 turn, restaked and went to the range. The gun choked hard and when I broke it open there was a cute curl of metal where the lower was chunked (I actually don't think this was part of the malf- I don't even know how this could have happened, and I think it was already there in the box). Also, I brought along my special M118 (not LR, I mistyped earlier) and it didn't print a good result with the MWS.

I had a Magpul MIAD I wanted to use and when I removed the grip, the selector spring was kinked over and pinched between the receiver and the Hogue grip (I guess "speed selector" was not an intended feature). Somewhere I have a pic of the indent it left in the gumby grip and the kinked over spring coming out of the lower, but not that exciting.

Seeing that the rifle was obviously assembled by some kind of drug addict fiending a fix, and who obviously doesn't care about my life-or-death, let alone victory on the battlefield, I inquired about to returning it to KYGunCo. They said nope, all sales final, take it to LMT.

LMT is not set up to deal with these kinds of things. They have "sales" but not "customer service." I asked if they would swap it out for me and they said "no, because it's a used rifle now" (?) and I sent it in. Talked to their special man. He seemed cool, acknowledged the improper assembly, and said he'd personally test fire.

A couple months go by. Industry peeps are telling me be patient, LMT is a fantastic company, they will make it right, the special man will probably hook a ninja up with a SS barrel for my trouble, etc... I call to follow up and apparently he's been busy. Waiting for the promised phone call and his diagnosis with return (also they said they would refund my shipping at this time).

Come home from work one day and it's at my door in North Arlington. They clipped the burr, replaced the endplate and restaked, and shipped it back. I took it to the range with some MKE M80 ball (Is barrel break in real?) and it failed to turn a good group (ok...) but also malf'd again.

I had meetings at ACC RIA the next month and I was going to bring it with me and continue pursuing, or perhaps just chuck it down the parking lot and drive away, taking the whole POS rifle as a loss, but I decided a better COA would be to sell a a healthy loss and move on.

Never got my shipping refunded, but the phone calls and dealing with the people were such a nut roll I was literally losing my mind.

Does this make LMT a junk factory? No, my MRP upper is performing well... but if you buy an LMT rifle, you may get rejected and or improperly assembled parts, faked QC tags, and end up in costly customer service hell.
    Last edited by KalashniKEV; 03-26-17 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wow....that sucks.

I went the used LMT route and changed a few things

Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    ^^^^^Again awesome setup^^^^^^^^. I went LMT, but dumped a load of $$$ on customizing it. I could have and probably should have just went SR25 with what I dumped into it in the end. I am pleased with my LMT though as it is unique-ish compared to most. As to the above bad experience,... every company turns a bad apple.. It just comes down to them being willfully accountable, and fixing the issue. I guess if I were met with the same general contempt, I would have the same judgement and move on from having further dealings with that company. That is sad that, that issue could slip through the cracks from a Company that is supposed to have legendary QC and alleged reliable, hard use firearms. Very Off putting.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)

Check it out:

I thought it was a minor issue, so I gave the castle nut another 3/4 turn, restaked and went to the range. The gun choked hard and when I broke it open there was a cute curl of metal where the lower was chunked (I actually don't think this was part of the malf- I don't even know how this could have happened, and I think it was already there in the box). Also, I brought along my special M118 (not LR, I mistyped earlier) and it didn't print a good result with the MWS.

I had a Magpul MIAD I wanted to use and when I removed the grip, the selector spring was kinked over and pinched between the receiver and the Hogue grip (I guess "speed selector" was not an intended feature). Somewhere I have a pic of the indent it left in the gumby grip and the kinked over spring coming out of the lower, but not that exciting.

Seeing that the rifle was obviously assembled by some kind of drug addict fiending a fix, and who obviously doesn't care about my life-or-death, let alone victory on the battlefield, I inquired about to returning it to KYGunCo. They said nope, all sales final, take it to LMT.

LMT is not set up to deal with these kinds of things. They have "sales" but not "customer service." I asked if they would swap it out for me and they said "no, because it's a used rifle now" (?) and I sent it in. Talked to their special man. He seemed cool, acknowledged the improper assembly, and said he'd personally test fire.

A couple months go by. Industry peeps are telling me be patient, LMT is a fantastic company, they will make it right, the special man will probably hook a ninja up with a SS barrel for my trouble, etc... I call to follow up and apparently he's been busy. Waiting for the promised phone call and his diagnosis with return (also they said they would refund my shipping at this time).

Come home from work one day and it's at my door in North Arlington. They clipped the burr, replaced the endplate and restaked, and shipped it back. I took it to the range with some MKE M80 ball (Is barrel break in real?) and it failed to turn a good group (ok...) but also malf'd again.

I had meetings at ACC RIA the next month and I was going to bring it with me and continue pursuing, or perhaps just chuck it down the parking lot and drive away, taking the whole POS rifle as a loss, but I decided a better COA would be to sell a a healthy loss and move on.

Never got my shipping refunded, but the phone calls and dealing with the people were such a nut roll I was literally losing my mind.

Does this make LMT a junk factory? No, my MRP upper is performing well... but if you buy an LMT rifle, you may get rejected and or improperly assembled parts, faked QC tags, and end up in costly customer service hell.
    Sucks to hear. LMT has been very responsive the few times I've reached out to them. I've tweaked my MWS quite a bit, but out of the box the rifle was a great shooter with no need for me mess around with it. Any problems I might have had with the rifle was a result of me monkeying around with it, experimenting with different components, customization options and what not. Personally, I wouldn't give up the fight with LMT. You purchased the rifle as "new", so it should be on them to fix it. If they won't, well then I suppose that would sour my perception and relationship with the company as well. Good luck.
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    KalashniKEV,

How many rounds did you put through it?
    I saw in a previous post you mentioned something about 2 mags? So a sample of maybe 50rds? Mine took a little bit of a break in period. Got a few hundred through mine now and haven't had issues with malfunctions since that break in period.

What accuracy level are you expecting from it? I'm running the 16" SS and pretty consistently get sub MOA groups (still working on shooting large frame gas guns).

Feedback Score

Check it out:

Honestly, I would be throwing rocks, too. That's a lot of coin for suckage.

So I guess KAC IS the answer...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't give up the fight with LMT. You purchased the rifle as "new", so it should be on them to fix it. If they won't, well then I suppose that would sour my perception and relationship with the company as well. Good luck.
    ...already been offloaded at a loss.

I simply don't have time for the deadly triad of Palmetto-State-Grade assembly practices, SIG-Exeter QA/QC, and Century Arms customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac679 View Post
    KalashniKEV,

How many rounds did you put through it?
    I saw in a previous post you mentioned something about 2 mags? So a sample of maybe 50rds? Mine took a little bit of a break in period. Got a few hundred through mine now and haven't had issues with malfunctions since that break in period.
    Two mags before return to the factory, a few more after.

The rifle was a straight up piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac679 View Post
    What accuracy level are you expecting from it? I'm running the 16" SS and pretty consistently get sub MOA groups (still working on shooting large frame gas guns).
    I wanted to see around an inch with M118 and around 3" with M80.

No joke- the M80 group was virtually identical to the group I print with a PTR-91 and irons.

Optic was a 16x SWFA SS in a Bobro mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Drift View Post
    Honestly, I would be throwing rocks, too. That's a lot of coin for suckage.

So I guess KAC IS the answer...
    For me, after this headache, I might explore bolt gun options.

There's really no place to stretch the legs around here anyway, and surprisingly (perhaps shockingly) my Arizona gun has become a 20" RRA Predator that performs really, really well.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast