Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tear off IFAK pouches, yes or no?

Feedback Score

Tear off IFAK pouches, yes or no?

Thoughts on the use of tear-off IFAK/blow-out pouches on plate carriers ect. Good idea or bad? What works, what doesn't?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I am VERY low speed, and truthfully am rarely outside of a short trip to the hospital via very capable rescue personel via one form of transportation or another, however "tear off" has always made me nervous. Even in my low-speed application I'm constantly bumping thing, or other people, and always wondered how secure they would be.

I really like the Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit NOW! pouch as I think it's a good combination of retention but fast access as well as the ability to remove it completely from my body if I need it. In fact I have yet another new one sitting on the desk next to me.

Feedback Score
    I'd say it's not a bad thing. However, I kept similar stuff in the external pockets of my aid bag to toss to other medics/CLS folks on the ground. Worked just fine then, but could see multiple situations where tossing my IFAK to someone else would be useful.

Rich
    "Pressure is what you feel when you don't know what you're doing." - Chuck Knox

For those that say USPSA/IPSC/3-Gun isn't tactical...speed is a tactic!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got an ATS Gear small med pouch on my work armor at the front. The ATS one has a retention strap with fastex to stop it getting ripped off inadvertently.

The major benefit I have is being able to rip it off and throw it in my rucksack for going to the range or whatever sans vest without having to make up a separate kit.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I am not a big fan of tear-off stuff. I loose stuff that way. And IFAKs are meant to be an individual's first aid gear. If for yourself, just use one of the IFAKs on the market in any location you want, but if you are part of a larger group/unit, have a well-placed, static (i.e., not moveable and changed everytime you tweak your load-out) kit that is consistent throughout your unit so everyone knows where everyone's gear is.

But, one thing I have done, and it has saved money, is use gallon-sized baggies for some of the IFAK contents, packaged about four or five of them, and had them stuffed into a larger bag or the cargo pockets of the uniform. That way my IFAK is where it needs to be, and where everyone knows it is, and I have extra stuff I can toss someone if needed.
    Last edited by chuckman; 08-09-10 at 10:44.

Feedback Score
    Good points from everyone, thank you.
    The reason I ask is that I would like to try putting my TT med pouch in the SOB position, mounted horizontally. I think a tear off panel would have three advantages like this.

1: I can reach it with both arms and not have to dig/work in a pouch that is "mounted" to me. This way I can get it out in front/plain view.

2: If someone else is working on me, no matter what position I am in they can work without having to move me around to get items from the kit. They may have to move me once to rip it off, but that's it.

3: It can be kept out of the way of your fighting load.

ETA: I ordered one of the Maxpedition Tear Away Modular Panels which also includes a 1" retention strap with buckle. Ill give that a shot to see how it works.
    Last edited by GhostB14; 08-09-10 at 11:54.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostB14 View Post
    Good points from everyone, thank you.
    The reason I ask is that I would like to try putting my TT med pouch in the SOB position, mounted horizontally. I think a tear off panel would have three advantages like this.

1: I can reach it with both arms and not have to dig/work in a pouch that is "mounted" to me. This way I can get it out in front/plain view.

2: If someone else is working on me, no matter what position I am in they can work without having to move me around to get items from the kit. They may have to move me once to rip it off, but that's it.

3: It can be kept out of the way of your fighting load.
    For these reasons, then a tear-off kit would be right for you. I like the ones with the retaining cord, but really anything could work.

Feedback Score
    chuckman, I edited my post why you were typing to add that I have ordered one with a strap, good call.

I'm new to this plate carrier thing. All my stuff has been belt mounted until recently a LEO buddy offered me a like-new DBT FAPC Gen. II(no armor) for a price I could not refuse. I'm not looking for armor, but I couldn't pass up such a deal for carriage.

On a side note, who's got a decent idea to stiffen it up since I'm not running plates? I used the PC quite a bit yesterday on some drills and I have fallen in love with the idea, but it seems a little floppy. My only idea so far is that sheets of Kydex are cheap and I was thinking about using that. Plates may or may not be in the future.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by calicojack; 08-10-10 at 08:44.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    its amazing that SEALS, Marines, and Army Personnel world wide use tear off ifaks on their deployments EVERY DAY... but they aren't good enough for the couch commandos.
    Oh dear god.

Why does it always come back to this? Some folks would PREFER to have something more securely attached to their person. It has nothing to do with SEALs or anyone else. It's a personal preference.

And, surprise surprise, I can't imagine why you'd take the position you have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast