Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triple Aught Design. Recon RS Short or

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    I don't wear belts if I can get away with it, which is why I like the adjustable waist on the Stretch Zion so much. Wish the Brions had that feature. Yup, I like my arborwear tech pants too.

After wearing the Stretch Zion pants almost daily for the past 3 years, when I put on 'tactical' pants, they feel too baggy on me. I now prefer a less baggy fit. No, not the Euro-metro-sexual ball bulging tight fit; just a relaxed fit without too much excess.
    But tighter pants = tighter groups, Travis Haley tought me that . Do you have any experience with arc'teryx softshell combat pants Gen 2 by any chance? I've been wear the drac jacket alot lately and I think I need a pantaloon form of it.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 05-23-17 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    Dude my combat gen 2's are amazeballs. Buuuuut they dont breathe well and are HOT when its 90+ degrees. This is my writeup copy and pasted from another forum. Mods, if its too long feel free to delete

Ill be honest, this is the most expensive pair of pants ive ever purchased. When they arrived, i stared at the box hoping theyd live up to my expectations. Tweave Durastretch is used throughout, and was praised to be a miracle fabric with incredible abrasion resistance. So a year ago, i gulped, clicked Confirm Order, and a few days later opened the box.

These are photos from today, so they are dirty and heavily used, recently used on a long hike and just removed from the laundry basket. That being said, they still look 95% new. I am pretty amazed and will eventually purchase another pair. There is a downside to the pants, and i will get to it. Due to the phone camera, coloration may be slightly off or appear different than in person.

The general front area. Notice the front reinforced belt loops, as well as double front pockets. These pockets are one of my favorite things. Given the stretchy nature of the material, and the width, i can access a pack of smokes in my left pocket using my right hand while seated in a vehicle. I usually keep my house keys and cash in the zippered pocket, and the zipper is tucked away into the main pocket when closed. Note all the points of reinforced stitching

The second point of interest is the integrated knife pocket. This is found on both sides. The knife, while stowed, will not contact your phone screen. This is handy. It is also big enough for a Surefire 6PX Defender.

The front and rear pockets are all half lined with mesh, great for drainage during heavy rain; and great for breathability in the heat.

YKK zippers are used. Good touch, and something i require when a zipper is used over buttons or velcro.

Reinforcement of the belt loops

Side view of the knee articulation. The leg is sewn to be slightly pre bent. The combination of that, and the Tweave Durastretch is fantastic. Ive never bent in a way that the pants fought me. You can be as flexible as you are in your birthday suit.

Cargo pockets includes a tab of velcro should you choose to fold the flap inward and use it as a dump pouch for magazines.

The ankle cuff has a drawstring, however there is a guide that keeps the drawstring from drooping and being stepped on.

Rear pockets also use water resistant zippers as well as half mesh for drainage and breathability

Thats about all i got off the top of my head. For $350, are they worth it? In my opinion, yes. However, the one screaming brutal downside: THEY ARE HOT IN THE SUMMER. Virtually no go for 95+ degree weather. The pant, while advertised as an all climate pant, pretty much goes away during the summer unless i am leaving and coming back during sundown. Other than that, they have my recommendation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good to see the glowing review. I just bought a pair of Combat Gen 2's in grey... which aren't the most expensive pant I've ever bought.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX_9 View Post
    Dude my combat gen 2's are amazeballs. Buuuuut they dont breathe well and are HOT when its 90+ degrees. This is my writeup copy and pasted from another forum.
    If you want a lightweight softshell pant, I would recommend the Outdoor Research Ferrosi pants if you want something simple, or the Beyond A5 Rig ULT pants if you want something for operating on The Gram. Both OR and Beyond offer decent pro deals. Note that the pockets in the A5 Rig ULT pants are mesh, so it vents pretty well, particularly with the thigh pockets.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 05-23-17 at 18:38.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I have a pair of TAD shorts and a pair of pants. They are great I they last a long time.

That being said, I now will only get the Duluth trading company fire hose shorts. They are great and you can get two for the price of one pair of TAD. And best of all they are always in stock.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for the review, pulling the trigger on some combat pants gen2. Your downside I don't see as a real downside since pants in general are too hot when it's 90+ F outside. If it's that hot I go full rhodesian man among men short shorts

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberM4 View Post
    TAD pants and shorts have 1 inch belt loops. I don't have a 1 inch belt. I bought 2 pair of CYRE G3 field pants
    I guess my 1-3/4" belt must've shrunk, because it fits all 5 pairs of TAD pants and shorts I have.

Feedback Score
    FWIW I have Recon AC pants that I love. They have become my default "go anywhere, in any condition" pants. I also have the Force 10's in RS, which do feel heavier duty, but more limited use.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thanks for the review, pulling the trigger on some combat pants gen2. Your downside I don't see as a real downside since pants in general are too hot when it's 90+ F outside. If it's that hot I go full rhodesian man among men short shorts

SA man shorts and the R1. Now that's a mans man day right there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12