Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot barrel has melted stuff stuck on it

Feedback Score
    I bet you could burn it out with a plumbers torch.

Feedback Score
    Had a buddy wasn't thinking, put his very hot AR into it's case, melted the sh$@ all over his barrel.

The stuff was like a hard plastic, not rubbery or greasy

Eventually got hot, wore off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forgot I had goo b gone. Tried that and while I did get some more off I wiped it clean with remoil wipes again and then 5-10 minutes later after it dried it turned that ugly white again. I give up. Just going to shoot the hell out of it again and hope it just wears off.

IMG_1538.jpg

Here's out it looked after wiping it down with the wipes. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    First thing I'd try would be acetone. If that didn't work, Plan B would involve brass wool and bore cleaner, or even judicious use of steel wool. Be grateful you didn't grab your barrel and it wound up soiled with skin remnants.
    I would try acetone (nail polish remover) like rusty said. Do it outside, wear gloves, and don't breathe it in. Should melt lots of plastics, then wipe while soft with a cotton cloth,rag. Don't use a synthetic cloth or you will compound the problem. Keep acetone off plastic stock or painted surfaces, wipe dry and use your favorite oil when you're done. If this doesn't work, shoot it till it's hot and wipe with cotton cloth until it's off.

Feedback Score
    Maybe call it a day with the Rem Oil and try something else.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Rubber from the relay point? I hope you aren't resting the barrel on something to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Rubber from the relay point? I hope you aren't resting the barrel on something to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry meant to say the rubber mat. And I'm still pretty sure only the upper and lower rest on that while the barrel aims down range not making contact with anything whatsoever. I'm just trying to figure out what melted oh the barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Sorry meant to say the rubber mat. And I'm still pretty sure only the upper and lower rest on that while the barrel aims down range not making contact with anything whatsoever. I'm just trying to figure out what melted oh the barrel.
    Just shoot it and enjoy the rifle. There's probably nothing that can get the stains / residue off without possible damage to the finish.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I've used brake cleaner to get melted rifle case off.

Feedback Score
    I'd just let it come off naturally when you shoot it more, don't sand it with steel wool and such. If part of it can be peeled off by hand then just do it by hand and leave the rest be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast