Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Barrett MRAD, Desert Tech (DTA) SRS

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,106
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

    Barrett MRAD, Desert Tech (DTA) SRS

    My eyes started wandering at .338 Lapua Magnum tactical precision guns and these 2 caught my eye.
    They both cost less than an AI, have similar barrel/bolt change capabilities, but can't find much info/feedback on here about them.

    What are people's thoughts/experiences with these?
    Worth it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,130
    Feedback Score
    0
    My first generation SRS in 338 LM returns 3/4" groups with factory 300 grain scenars. More experienced (i.e. skilled) shooters report accuracy closer to 1/2" with their hand loads, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing people hammering steel at 1300-2000+yards. Here is one showing the performance at 2707 yards:

    https://youtu.be/8nlTU8_iK7o

    All that from a rifle that is about the size of a 6920 with extened stock...
    Last edited by Sensei; 03-22-17 at 18:55.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,106
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My first generation SRS in 338 LM returns 3/4" groups with factory 300 grain scenars. More experienced (i.e. skilled) shooters report accuracy closer to 1/2" with their hand loads, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing people hammering steel at 1300-2000+yards. Here is one showing the performance at 2707 yards:

    https://youtu.be/8nlTU8_iK7o

    All that from a rifle that is about the size of a 6920 with extened stock...
    Thanks for the feedback.
    That is pretty crazy that it's the length of a 5.56 carbine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,130
    Feedback Score
    0
    Perhaps my only reservations with Desert Tech come from the MDR. The company seems heavily invested in it, and the roll out keeps getting pushed back. A flop would be very bad. Barrett on the other hand seems pretty stable.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,819
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    What kind of groups do you get around 1k Sensei?

    I've looked at these for a minute but that ammo is so expensive. It's kind of hard to justify 338LM when 1k is the farthest I can shoot and 308 will get there.

    Just wondering what the accuracy difference is at that range.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,206
    Feedback Score
    183 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What kind of groups do you get around 1k Sensei?

    I've looked at these for a minute but that ammo is so expensive. It's kind of hard to justify 338LM when 1k is the farthest I can shoot and 308 will get there.

    Just wondering what the accuracy difference is at that range.

    I'm kind of in this boat a Euro also. 338LM is just so dang expensive to shoot. But I did opt for 300WM for most everything now and the 190-210gr pills fly very well. I'm seeing 3000fps with 200gr SMKs. And my 308 rifle with 175FGMM are seeing 2600 give or take. Almost 10 mils of drop on the 308 at 1K where I am pending the conditions, and under 6.5-7 mils on the 300wm with heavier pills. Wind is about a .6-1mil difference between them as what I see at that distance. 10-15mph wind is typical where I shoot. The 300wm is retaining almost double the energy and 400fps more at 1k. I'm sure the 338LM is another step up in these comparisons, but for the money, I cant justify the 338LM. If I could shoot 1600+ then maybe... Some day, some day...
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-23-17 at 09:39.
    Philippians 4:13

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,106
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    How does the SRS' bullpup trigger compare to that of the MRAD with it's traditional layout.
    I haven't seen any precision bullpups before, so am very curious about that.

    Also, how do these compare to the AI AX338 guns, given that those are significantly more $$$?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    327
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Benito View Post
    How does the SRS' bullpup trigger compare to that of the MRAD with it's traditional layout.
    I haven't seen any precision bullpups before, so am very curious about that.

    Also, how do these compare to the AI AX338 guns, given that those are significantly more $$$?
    My trigger is set at 1 lbs. It's awesome, they have one of the best triggers. MRAD is nice too, I prefer my DT because it allows a lot of adjustments.

    My buddy has the AI AX he likes it, but uses his DT more, I prefer the DT.

    As for the comment about DT posing back the MDR. That's because they completely redesigned it, simplified it, which caused delays in mass producing it. They wanted it to be very reliable. My buddy had 4 of them, they are insane to say the least, especially for a semi auto.

    Accuracy?.. they are as accurate as hell.my. 338 Norma Magnum AI version (AI for Ackley Improved) shots 5 shots in a dime size at 100 yards.

    My 6.5 SAUM barrel shots one nice hole as well as my 6.5 Creedmoor.

    My brothers 6.5x47 Lapua is a tack driver as well in his DT.

    I even got 4 of the SD SWAT sniper team members to purchase DT'S. They are running 300 WM and. 308. They are all tack drivers with factory ammo.

    I would go DTA! Especially for the money. Plus you need to buy a MDR as well.

    My wife thinks I only have 3 guns
    Using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,130
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What kind of groups do you get around 1k Sensei?

    I've looked at these for a minute but that ammo is so expensive. It's kind of hard to justify 338LM when 1k is the farthest I can shoot and 308 will get there.

    Just wondering what the accuracy difference is at that range.
    I've only shot steel silhouettes (AR500 type) beyond 600 yards. I get about 75% hits at 1000 yards using 300 grain Scenars off a bipod and rear sandbag. I've taken it out 1500 once and was only hitting 25ish%.

    Keep in mind that I'm a home trained long range shooter. Thus, I feel like my software is the performance limiting step.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0
    wish I could afford a DT. they look awesome think id opt for something in the 6.5 range 338lm is a little much for western PA and expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •