Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Remington 700 barrel?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Which Remington 700 barrel?

So I maybe looking for a new Remington 700 barrel soon (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...s-and-Thoughts) and I'm wondering what my options are? Rifle is an SPS Tactical and I'd be looking for 22-24" in .308, $300-500 installed, Remage is a consideration, must be threaded to accept a brake and a not outrageous turnaround time (4 weeks or less). This will get used out to 1000-1100. I'd love to do switch up to 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Remington but I have plenty of components and I like the barrel life of 308.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I that price range your going to have to think hard about the remage or pony up for someone to spin up a bartlein.

Barrels are really a consumable item.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Honestly your price range isn't realistic for a quality barrel and gunsmithing costs. Just a good blank will eat up most of your budget. I'd suggest you save your money and do it the right way.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I expected some options closer to the top end of my budget. So what are average prices for a quality barrel and the work?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It should cost you about 600-650 bones to spin up a new barrel. Bartlein is my prefered choice.

Barrels are about 320 for a straight twist. Gain twist barrels run about 40 bones more.

I am running a kreiger on my 6x47L currently.....but I will say, even tho it shoots one hole, it fouls like a bitch.

If your pushing them out to 1k, I would think about a 26" also.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ok, so not much more than the top of my budget. How does Krieger and Shilen compare? And which of the quality precision shops have decent turnaround times?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want the best, just buy a bartlein. I have some kreigers on other guns, but only because I bought them that way. Every time I rebarrel is a bart hands down.

I did skim your other thread. If your action is stock, you might as well have it trued up while he is in there. Its only about 160 more anyway. I good smith can true your action to shoot just as good as a custom. They just don't feel as nice.

I would think in sin city there would be a good smith to use. If you can't find one, pm me and I will give you a number to my local shop. Since your having to mail it back and forth I would say 3 weeks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Wild West is the standout place here but last I checked their turn around times were lengthy. That's how I ended up getting my barrel threaded where I did; they were quicker by a long way. Seems like possibly a poor choice now.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    In your price range, I'd look at a Criterion Remage barrel. Criterion sells them direct, but I'd look at Northland shooters supply first. You could probably pick up the barrel and everything else you need for $500.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You can look at Southern Precision aka Bugholes.com for buying barrels and parts for building your guns. These guys may also do work. I would shop around to get your barrel done.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast