Thread: Chuck Barris RIP..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Chuck Barris RIP..

All my Hero's named Chuck are passing...
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...obit-1.4035579
    Barris for the first decade of his showbiz career worked in a variety of jobs, including behind the scenes on Dick Clark's American Bandstand. He also tried his hand at songwriting, with Freddy Cannon taking his Palisades Park to No. 3 on the U.S. pop chart in 1962.
    The Dating Game debuted in 1965 on ABC, with contestants grilling three prospective suitors on their likes and dislikes, filled with suggestive questions and double entendres.
    The Newlywed Game, hosted by Bob Eubanks, began its run a year after the The Dating Game, and was also a long-running success. The barbed humour remained, with the show featuring married couples who quite often didn't know each other very well.
    Barris decided to take a turn in front of the camera with The Gong Show in 1976, his most divisive successful show. The show featured amateur talent acts, often atrocious, who tried to avoid the gong of celebrity judges.
    It was patterned after the Major Bowes Amateur Hour, a radio hit in the 1930s, with the gong the show's equivalent of vaudeville's hook. The victims would then be mercilessly berated by the often manic Barris.

The Guy kept me laughing for decades.
    Now don't you guys ruin it and tell me he too is a pervert....

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did the CIA off him? I know of no perversions just the claims of being a CIA agent. Overheard 2 older folks today arguing over whether Chuck Barris or Chuck Berry died. Complete with bad hearing and the old man getting mad before one our crew had to tell them they both had died.

If Chuck Norris or Chuck Yeager drops is it considered a hat trick?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bad time to be "Chuck"....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I liked the show. Two things that I remember most was "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine" and the time a panel gal bared her chest.

Feedback Score
    A bit off-topic, but this thread made me Google "The Dating Game" (I remember it when I was a kid). While it wasn't when Chuck Barris was the host, I just watched a video of "The Dating Game" when serial killer Rodney Alcala was on it. Kinda freaky, as he had already raped and killed. He was sentenced to death by California in 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12PXvKfWdZs
    Last edited by ABNAK; 03-22-17 at 18:41.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Gong Show was quite a thing in my tender years alongside Hee Haw.

I still remember these guys in unitards who did human pyramids and other such things while chanting "AMAZING FEATS OF STRENGTH"

And of course

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love it! An episode where the audience wasn't throwing a bunch of crap at him.