Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So what's the best deal on diamond rings?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I haven't worn a wedding ring for almost 8 years, since getting it caught in a fence gate and almost breaking my finger.
    Your lucky.

If you have a weak stomach DO NOT google image search for degloved ring finger.

Silicon rings are popular now, all over the internet marketed towards MIL/LE but they are getting more mainstream.

Injury due to metal rings is more common than one would think.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Averageman, PM me and I'll be happy to steer you the right way. Too much to explain in one post. I'll help you find a great stone to fit your budget. There's a lot online, but you have know what to look for.
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Saw this little gem (ha!) in our very own Equipment Exchange:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-Set-wIGA-Cert

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Your lucky.

Silicon rings are popular now, all over the internet marketed towards MIL/LE but they are getting more mainstream.

Agree! While I don't operate machinery as much these days, I'm just not into wearing jewelry, watches, etc. since the days I had to remove it all the time.

OP, I asked my kid about jewelry claims and such. Her advice is below;

"As long as the diamond comes with a GIA or AGS certificate, its insurance"

Before buying a diamond you can check bluenile.com to see what the actual value of the diamond is"

If you plan to insure it, get it appraised by a reputable jeweler and keep it appraised and checked for damage every few years...speeds up theft, loss, or damage claims if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks All.
    Still working this out. I may well check the PX this weekend.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I believe I used BlueNile as well.. It's been quite a while, but the diamond was fantastic. You could pick the exact levels of cut, weight, clarity, etc that you wanted / could afford. It went very smoothly.

Someone mentioned store lighting. It's not just the type lighting but also the frequency. They can run those lights at a high frequency that makes things seem more pleasing to our eyes. You know our normal frequency is 60Hz. This has gone on for ages and I knew a guy that designed the systems way way back.

I believe BlueNile has a satisfaction guarantee as well and I think you get an appraisal for your insurance too. I would not hesitate to shop there again. As a matter of fact when my wife left me, she kept the diamond, that's how good it was... lol.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    So I assume you know this, but gem diamond prices are massively inflated due to the DeBeers cartel. If diamonds traded freely the prices would be maybe 10-25% of what they are now. Look at a diamond as an item of immediate consumption, not an investment of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    hahahah we do not wear ours 20 and 30 year old fingers almost 20 years later are
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I haven't worn a wedding ring for almost 8 years, since getting it caught in a fence gate and almost breaking my finger. Wife didn't really like it at first, but I told her all the times I'd been deployed and watched other guys doing their "what happens away from home stays away from home...", a dang ring doesn't stop anyone from messing around. Anyway, she stopped wearing hers a couple years ago. Nothing but a thing, really, and our marriage is as solid as ever after 27 years.
    I have a nice band that I haven't worn in 4-5 years due to size issues and discomfort. I could get it resized, but don't feel like it. My wife doesn't care much. We've been married almost 12 years and she has no doubt, or reason to doubt, my commitment. She still wears her wedding ring, but only when we go out on date night, or some kind of fancy occasion or reason to impress other people. For day to day life, it lives in a safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Honu View Post
    in some ways two nice bands no stones figure nice bands around $250 and put the rest into a home etc..
    Did I mention the lack of investment features? My wife's wedding ring cost not quite the price of a car when I bought it. I could afford it (it was definitely not pocket change) but in 20/20 hindsight we would have been better investing the money in something smart, or taking a HUGE vacation to some place far away and awesome, vs. having some fossilized carbon on a keyring.

By the way, the actual precious metals gold and platinum have far more likelihood of retaining value or even appreciating than the diamond does. Their prices are basically set by the market, or possibly even manipulated below free-market prices (for complex financial reasons). While fine jewelry is much more expensive than just the metal value in it, the metal and fine craftsmanship actually has lasting value.

Depending on your situation, I would propose a more basic ring and a great honeymoon. I realize some women just want the bling for social reasons, but this is my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Otherwise I'd want a conflict diamond. Don't care who makes it, just as long as someone got shot with a FAL over it.
    Awesome. If you really want a diamond, this is good.

Also, IMHO there is nothing dumber than a 3-carat diamond with low grade color (pale yellow/tan) and big inclusions. If you're going to spend $$$$ on a real diamond, get one with a high grade on color and no inclusions.

Feedback Score
    hahhah I used to see it happen on the boats

worst was nothing to do with a ring but a eel
    took the finger and huge chunk of the hand with it and the guy was trying to put it back on his hand when we were diving hahaha over 50 stitches and reconstructive surgery

had a tourist guy turned out he was a surgeon and he kinda tried to leap out of the water to the edge of the boat got it caught and POP

a lot of boat guys would wear their ring on a necklace

Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Your lucky.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I always dealt with a hometown jewelry dealer owned by an old jewish man with relatives in the diamond district. He would dump a sleeve of stones on the counter and look at each to determine which would be best suited for the setting I wanted. He wanted a long term relationship with his customers not a one time sale. I never had anything he made appraise for less than twice what I paid. I bought from him for 30 years until he passed. Stay away from the chain stores.
    I had a custom ring built for my wife on our 10th anniversary.. The jeweler brought in a 6'6" Jewish diamond dude that was packing a nice 1911 under a black trench coat. I caught a look as he pulled out his sleeve of diamonds from an inside pocket. He walked me through the entire process; showing me examples of cut, clarity and color. He then picked out several that were the size I desired and then we haggled on price, cash of course. When all was said in done, due to a good jeweler and an honest diamond seller, the ring appraised at 2.5 times what I paid for it. We still do business with this jeweler a decade later.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Take cash and go to either Philly or NY to the diamond districts.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast