Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to try some barrel nut shims?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's a bit frustrating because when I started working on it last night I thought I was about a half-hour away from a functional A1 rifle clone.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've used barrel nut shims - they work great and no hassle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    This is the wrench I'm using.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C5...40_FMwebp_QL65

I ordered some barrel shims as well but I'll clean off some of the grease and take another crack at the upper tonight maybe. If it still doesn't work than I'll wait for the shims, if it does than I guess I'll have some extra shims kicking around if I ever need them.
    I've never heard of that brand before but after reading some of the reviews, I'm not sure if I would trust it. Rent a good brand calibrated wrench if you can't afford to buy one. Some folks don't even use a torque wrench. They go by feel.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Folks are going to tell you that TQ wrench is junk - I don't know that it is, but that is the likely thought process. Instead of going to the expense of buying another, why don't you go to an Auto-Zone (or similar parts store) and get one of their loaners. Then just find some bolts to tighten and compare the readings. I've compared my Craftsman torque wrench to others at the track and found it to be accurate. Off course there is the possibility all of them are off - I don't think comparison is the H.P. White Labs standard.

Another source would be a tool rental place to get the wrench, or simply go to a local garage and see if they'll torque it for you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What's a good torque wrench cost and what are some good brands, or good enough for this purpose anyway?
    I'm willing to buy one if that's what it takes to have the ability to work on my ARs on a whim.

Feedback Score
    My favorite torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers are made by CDI.

Snap-On sells the CDI line of torque torque wrenches and torque screwdrivers under their name.

I use this model for barrel nuts and it works great. > https://store.snapon.com/US-Torque-I...e-P891699.aspx
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-23-17 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I have much faith in Craftsman TQ wrenches. I have a friend who works for NASA and took my snap on and craftsman wrenches to see exact readings with there machine. My craftsman 1/2 drive was one lb more accurate then the fancy Snap-on I bought. And the 3/8 drive craftsman and snapon were both within half a lb of actual. And these are new snapon and 10 year old craftsman. Take that for what it's worth. (I own over 30k of snapon mac and matco tools.). For a person who wrenched professionally I do see higher value in some of the brands mentioned. But for torque wrenches I don't see the premium they bring over the craftsman. Maybe I have some special one in a million craftsman, but it works.

When that nut stops, you gain torque crazy fast. I would not torque to say 70 and then stop and turn it to 80 and go the addition ft lbs. You may hit 80 without any additional movement when the nut is already at 70 from a stop. One complete smooth movement with the higher value torque and see what happens.

I would grind the side of a tooth off the barrel nut before buying another upper though. I know, I know... let's hear it.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 03-23-17 at 12:26.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I would grind the side of a tooth off the barrel nut before buying another upper though. I know, I know... let's hear it.
    Grinding away a tooth for alignment of the gas tube would solve that problem but the handguards also index off of the barrel nut, so they would be out of wack.

I have no problem with Craftsman torque wrenches.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 03-23-17 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    What's a good torque wrench cost and what are some good brands, or good enough for this purpose anyway?
    I'm willing to buy one if that's what it takes to have the ability to work on my ARs on a whim.
    As I said, Ive compared my Craftsman click type to Snap-Ons, etc. by comparing readings, also with my Craftsman Beam Wrench - I feel it is adequate.

Howsomeever, here is a page of the CDI's someone recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+TOrque+Wrench

Another option is a beam type. Which is what we used for over a hundred years. Everyone knowledgeable I've talked to says they maintain their accuracy better than click types. Generally less expensive for a quality one, and you can see the torque value as you apply torque to the piece. Doing torque on an AR you can position the item so the you can clearly see the scale as you torque. The primary disadvantage for me is that with no ratcheting mechanism you have to position the wrench. Once again not hard work on an AR.

Craftsman and SK tools still sell them, mine beam style is also a Craftsman.

Regardless of typr, probably more important for the click type, keep the TQ wrench in it's box, don't let it get bounced around.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Are you using the nut wrench 90 degrees to the torque wrench? If inline coupled with the possible 4% stated error in your wrench you haven't indicated 80 ft/lb yet.
    Last edited by GH41; 03-23-17 at 14:25.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast