Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a Dash-Cam

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Help Me Pick a Dash-Cam

I'll spare you fellas the details, but I want front and rear dashcams.

Amazon reviews are all over the place. Everything from Chicom knockoffs, that are "great" to "sux." To similar reviews of more reputable systems.

Long and short: Wicked commute in the nastiest city for traffic this side of Guangzhou.

Asshole drivers.

Wreckless drivers.

Drivers that lie to the Police.

If it weren't for solid assed LEO discernment and bullshit detecting, I'd have a ton of at-faults. I don't want my luck pushed any more.

#NotMyPremium

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For similar reasons in arguably similar 'worstest' scenarios ('no hablo ingles' aka, no licenses, no insurance) I too started looking into this. I like the idea of the Garmin units https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...d-c533-p1.html but my research is just starting. No other brands to compare with at this time.
    I'm pretty sure you can make the back up camera a constant on if you power it off a hot source vice the back up lights, but I'm not sure it records anything. I thought of just doing a small camera like the 45 in a rear facing position. Every once in a while I see some brand of dash cam pop up at Costco but if I don't know the name I ignore it. Garmin is pretty legit IMO for the quality and functionality of other electronics.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that.

I've yet to come across a Garmin product that wasn't solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    For similar reasons in arguably similar 'worstest' scenarios ('no hablo ingles' aka, no licenses, no insurance) I too started looking into this. I like the idea of the Garmin units https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...d-c533-p1.html but my research is just starting. No other brands to compare with at this time.
    I'm pretty sure you can make the back up camera a constant on if you power it off a hot source vice the back up lights, but I'm not sure it records anything. I thought of just doing a small camera like the 45 in a rear facing position. Every once in a while I see some brand of dash cam pop up at Costco but if I don't know the name I ignore it. Garmin is pretty legit IMO for the quality and functionality of other electronics.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been wanting to get one ever since those Russian videos went viral.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that.

I've yet to come across a Garmin product that wasn't solid.
    I got the Garmin phone a few years back. Not a solid product. I agree though, typically they are GTG.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Rog.

All my experiences have been with their GPS products.

Feedback Score
    I have used Garmin GPS data and video to investigate actual crashes, highly recommend.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We've got one of the cheapest car cams available and it works just fine. Battery lasts maybe 5 minutes on full charge, no big issue, always plugged in. I'll add, use a class 4 mem card, it doesn't like the class 10s. I have the audio set off. It has come in handy a few times. Recently when my wife was harassed in a parking lot in front of our vehicle. It id'd the car and captured the incident. I copied the video files to my macbook to show an officer. They followed up on the incident. Coming back from Cleveland Wednesday we were run off into the berm to avoid a sideswipe from a driver texting. I won't go anywhere without that cam on.

Can't get any cheaper. No problems with ours for the last 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/RivenAn-Camer...V8JRH87Q0KMVP7

Last edited by jmp45; 03-24-17 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    That's as solid an endorsement as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    I have used Garmin GPS data and video to investigate actual crashes, highly recommend.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I have / had the "Original Dashcam" with two cameras in one unit, held a lot of promise but everything about it is so random as to render it useless. You never know when it's going to be on or off, and recording is "when it wants to". I could not find in the info nor get them to tell me after 2-3 sendbacks, what is the loop on the damned thing. And since it recorded so unpredictably I could not tell by using it.

Maybe, maybe I could bull my way into harmony with it but one other quality I require is "need not spend half a day figuring the G.D. thing out plus a monthly refresher course".

I would not recommend this one.

Quality of the video and sound was satisfactory. Both cameras can be rotated 180 front to back, nice feature, and you can view 1, 2, or both on a slit screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast