Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the best deal on diamond rings?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

So what's the best deal on diamond rings?

Just curious as to how to not get ripped off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First, don't use mall stores like zales or Kay.

For chains it's hard to beat Shane for the overall value (quality/price/warranty), but I would research the local independent and build a relationship

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    bluenile.com is legit.

My best friend is in the jewelry business. His family owns a number of very high end stores. He turned me on to it and I used for my wife's ring.

I shopped around and took the printout of the stones I liked to brick and mortar stores see what they could do, they were coming in at twice as much for comparable diamonds.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I always dealt with a hometown jewelry dealer owned by an old jewish man with relatives in the diamond district. He would dump a sleeve of stones on the counter and look at each to determine which would be best suited for the setting I wanted. He wanted a long term relationship with his customers not a one time sale. I never had anything he made appraise for less than twice what I paid. I bought from him for 30 years until he passed. Stay away from the chain stores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I always dealt with a hometown jewelry dealer owned by an old jewish man with relatives in the diamond district. He would dump a sleeve of stones on the counter and look at each to determine which would be best suited for the setting I wanted. He wanted a long term relationship with his customers not a one time sale. I never had anything he made appraise for less than twice what I paid. I bought from him for 30 years until he passed. Stay away from the chain stores.
    Similar here. Used a reputable local sales guy.

Find out what you want, price out comparables and go shopping. Buy registered diamonds. Don't get fooled by lighting. Recessed lighting will make shitty diamonds look great.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-22-17 at 14:32.

Feedback Score

So what's the best deal on diamond rings?

Check out www.americusdiamond.com. They have stores in both SA and Austin, and I have several friends who bought from them and were pleased.

I personally have not bought from them. Also, I rarely buy jewelry, so I cannot tell you how their prices are. All I can attest to, second hand, is the word of friends who used them for diamonds.

I'd also suggest, call your homeowner insurance company and ask them if they can give you advise on what companies to stay away from. My daughter works at USAA and she runs across lots of folks who got screwed buying jewelry, almost daily...

Caveat Emptor, Brother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 03-22-17 at 16:28.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    bluenile.com is legit.

My best friend is in the jewelry business. His family owns a number of very high end stores. He turned me on to it and I used for my wife's ring.

I shopped around and took the printout of the stones I liked to brick and mortar stores see what they could do, they were coming in at twice as much for comparable diamonds.
    Blue Nile and World Jewels are the both very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    If split crotch panties are what it takes to get your wife to exercise, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Feedback Score
    when you go to some stores ask to compare to Tiffany ? its often OH OK then its this to compare
    no idea about the online but agree the major stores are a rip off and quality jewelers should be able to take care of you

its interesting for sure

having shot weddings for 15 years I have seen and heard so much about rings
    wife got a Tiffany small simple stone for our lifestyle in the islands nothing sticking up to catch or be reset etc.. and only cause we loved the settings and style we found Tiffany in line for the style etc.. so do not discount them either

bottom line IMHO is the style that matters and what she likes and the whole thing is a freaking racket to sell really expensive rocks and reality is try to sell back any ring for anything close to its appraised value
    Last edited by Honu; 03-22-17 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    Pawn shop, plenty of them to be found there for really cheap- many to choose from as well.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I use USAA. Little known service they offer. Don't know if you qualify to be a member or not.

If not, then Blue Nile.

If I am spending serious $$, then I want to buy from a reputable place that can give me certification on the diamond. I want a laser inscribed number on the girdle of large rocks. For multi-diamond jewelry like tennis bracelets, I buy from a USAA or Blue Nile. Wouldn't go anywhere else.
    Last edited by 6933; 03-22-17 at 21:17.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast