Thread: Disruptive pattern tarmac

Feedback Score

Disruptive pattern tarmac

An old photo from the Vietnam War (Thailand 1972). I suppose if you're flying over at high speed you might miss seeing those A-7D's. Wonder if anyone still does this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    An old photo from the Vietnam War (Thailand 1972). I suppose if you're flying over at high speed you might miss seeing those A-7D's. Wonder if anyone still does this?

That's really interesting. I have not seen that before. I spent 26 years flying to just about every airfield in the world it seems like. Including regular trips to Korat and Utapao. Of course, this is well after Vietnam.

What I can say is that there was a dedicated effort for OPSEC as it applied to keeping a tarmac "clean" as it was believed that the soviets could glean a lot of information from the equipment that they could spot from satellite reconnaissance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I worked at a place that had some really interesting concrete that vehicles sat on. I was told the design was to prevent satellite imaging from seeing exactly what was on the ground. It was built I would guess in the 1960's and the idea was it would "white wash" any attempts at seeing what was there based on the technology of the time.
    You really didn't want to work on it and for the most part other than 10 level stuff we moved in to the bays for maintenance that was going to require a lot of time or crawling around or under a vehicle.
    I've never seen anything painted like that picture though.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    It looks like one of those pixelated 3-D pics that were so popular at mall kiosks back in the 80s.....hurts my eyes. Very cool, nonetheless.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    It looks like one of those pixelated 3-D pics that were so popular at mall kiosks back in the 80s.....hurts my eyes. Very cool, nonetheless.
    "WHEN DO I GET TO SEE THE GODDAMN SAILBOAT AAARRGH!"

But seriously that looks trippy and effective

Feedback Score
    I believe the Germans started doing this towards the end of WW II. Rumor is that it helped.

Now days in the modern age of drones and satellites equipped with FLIR and radar imaging, I doubt it would be too effective.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I can't imagine doing a FOD walk on that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I believe the Germans started doing this towards the end of WW II. Rumor is that it helped.

Now days in the modern age of drones and satellites equipped with FLIR and radar imaging, I doubt it would be too effective.
    One of the airfields in Schweinfurt appeared to be a lake from the air. Legend has it that there was very little water and that could be drained quickly and the planes could take off in a minutes notice.
    Apparently someone decided cows can't swim because there was a photo recon showing a cow standing in the middle of the "Lake".
    I wasa told inside what we used as the gym was an elevator and aircraft could be stored and serviced on many levels, something akin to what we had on aircraft carriers.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    "WHEN DO I GET TO SEE THE GODDAMN SAILBOAT AAARRGH!"

But seriously that looks trippy and effective
    One of my favorite movies!

Boeing built a fake housing development on top of the B-17 factory in WWII.

http://www.taphilo.com/history/wwii/...ng/index.shtml

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    One of my favorite movies!

Boeing built a fake housing development on top of the B-17 factory in WWII.

http://www.taphilo.com/history/wwii/...ng/index.shtml

That's Awesome.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree