Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgotten M16 model

Feedback Score

forgotten M16 model

I've just finished a google search and I believe I have discovered a new m16 model from the past. I want to call it the colt 605SD because It has features of the 605 and 605 B but isn't a 605 because most have full fenced lowers and foward assist. The 605 is on a partial fenced lower with a 603 or slabside upper. Also all of the 605SD have suppressors. here are my pictures of it.
    IMG_2721.jpgIMG_2720.jpgIMG_2719.jpgIMG_2716.jpgIMG_2715.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    last oneIMG_2706.jpg
    also if anyone has more information on this please share
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Is that article with the KAC suppressor the same model as in the other pics? It looks different. IIRC the KAC in the pic was produced in the 80's, after the Vietnam war. The can in the Vietnam pics looks like it's this one:
    http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=2382

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Is that article with the KAC suppressor the same model as in the other pics? It looks different. IIRC the KAC in the pic was produced in the 80's, after the Vietnam war. The can in the Vietnam pics looks like it's this one:
    http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=2382
    that article says 1967 was when they started to build them
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What you are actually seeing in the pics are a M16A1s and XM16E1s with suppressors mounted. Here is a picture of an XM16E1 with a suppressor. Notice the partial-fence lower and 603 upper (no forge codes). The description calls it a M16A1, but that is incorrect.

605s were produced in very limited numbers and never saw any wide scale use in the field by Military Forces due to its
    unreliable operation. 605s mostly saw their limited service time with the SEALs, until it was replaced with the Model XM607 and, subsequently, the XM177.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 03-23-17 at 13:10.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    that article says 1967 was when they started to build them

KAC was founded in 1982, unless that's a different 'KAC' in the article.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    KAC was founded in 1982, unless that's a different 'KAC' in the article.
    During the Vietnam era, SIONICS built suppressors as designed by Mitch Werbell of MAC (Military Armarment Corp). They produced a few different models over the course of the Vietnam War/Conflict. I have yet to find anything on any KAC suppressors made during that time.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    What you are actually seeing in the pics are a M16A1s and XM16E1s with suppressors mounted. Here is a picture of an XM16E1 with a suppressor. Notice the partial-fence lower and 603 upper (no forge codes). The description calls it a M16A1, but that is incorrect.

605s were produced in very limited numbers and never saw any wide scale use in the field by Military Forces due to its
    unreliable operation. 605s mostly saw their limited service time with the SEALs, until it was replaced with the Model XM607 and, subsequently, the XM177.
    so what is the barrel length on this because its can't be 20". A 605 with a suppressor should be reliable because of the back pressure from the suppressor. And what exactly is this model called because it can't be a M16A1 because that is a certain type that isn't this?
    - Anonymous
    - Albert Einstein
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post

This guy knows his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    I've just finished a google search and I believe I have discovered a new m16 model from the past. I want to call it the colt 605SD because It has features of the 605 and 605 B but isn't a 605 because most have full fenced lowers and foward assist. The 605 is on a partial fenced lower with a 603 or slabside upper. Also all of the 605SD have suppressors. here are my pictures of it.
    IMG_2721.jpgIMG_2720.jpgIMG_2719.jpgIMG_2716.jpgIMG_2715.jpg
    This guy doesn't.... Ever. Never. Ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast