Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large loss of strength the last 4 months.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Large loss of strength the last 4 months.

Not sure if old age (mid 40's) has caught up with me or what.

But I have been experiencing some extreme loss of strength over the last 4 months...

Been weight lifting for 24 years, serious lifting the last 20.

I have lost 65 lbs off my bench max, 70 lbs off my Squat max and a whopping 90 of deadlift max...

Diet has always been constant, supplements always the same. Always changing up programming so I don't stagnate.

I started having recovery issues about 3 years ago, but never loss strength.

I go for blood work every 6 months (requirement of ins), got an appointment next week to get some testing done.

so... have I hit the downward spiral early?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Only you can answer that question. I would look to shake up my work-outs, diet, and rest to see if I could regain the losses. If I couldn't pinpoint anything, I would speak with an MD. You may be headed for a million dollar work-up that is inconclusive; or, they may find something(as in deficiency). May be a case of needle/haystack and it is simply something you have to come to terms with.

Had L5-S1 microdisection in Dec. Surgeon hit the dura which resulted in leaking CSF. Horrible, horrible pain before my wife diagnosed me, called surgeon, and had me direct admitted in within an hr. Another wk. in hospital. Now, chronic pain--I refuse pain meds-- and life has changed. Will probably never run again unless necessary. Lots of heavy walking. Would like to return to jiu-jitsu sometime, but may not happen. I'm adjusting and driving on. Hope to be able to lift by summer's end. Lost dangerous amount of weight. Eating is now a chore, but extremely important. I'm 6'0" and have generally been in the 170lb. range. Was down to 148#. Scared the crap out of me.

However, I have a great wife, and two wonderful kids(they are actually good kids!). Giving up or giving in isn't an option. So, I deal with the pain mentally and have not slacked in my responsibilities at all excepting the days I was in the hospital. Even then I prepared enough so that my absence wouldn't be felt very much.

If this is simply age related and not medical, then how you handle it mentally will determine your future.

Coming to grips with our own mortality isn't easy.

Do you have muscle pain associated with the decrease?

Hopefully it is something as simple as low T or statin side effect, and not rhabdomylosis. You didn't mention pain so prob. not rhab.
    Last edited by 6933; 03-23-17 at 21:39.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Have you recently been prescribed a statin for high cholesterol. Statins knocked me for a loop with strength loss and muscle pains.

Feedback Score
    Likely, low testosterone levels for which there is a solution. Also, one needs to take a month or two off every few years to properly recover.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    not needed
    Last edited by 6933; 03-23-17 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Have you recently been prescribed a statin for high cholesterol. Statins knocked me for a loop with strength loss and muscle pains.
    Not on any meds.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linebacker View Post
    Likely, low testosterone levels for which there is a solution. Also, one needs to take a month or two off every few years to properly recover.
    I have a good grasp on recovery and cycle. Been at it for a long time and competitively for a time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Only you can answer that question. I would look to shake up my work-outs, diet, and rest to see if I could regain the losses. If I couldn't pinpoint anything, I would speak with an MD. You may be headed for a million dollar work-up that is inconclusive; or, they may find something(as in deficiency). May be a case of needle/haystack and it is simply something you have to come to terms with.

Had L5-S1 microdisection in Dec. Surgeon hit the dura which resulted in leaking CSF. Horrible, horrible pain before my wife diagnosed me, called surgeon, and had me direct admitted in within an hr. Another wk. in hospital. Now, chronic pain--I refuse pain meds-- and life has changed. Will probably never run again unless necessary. Lots of heavy walking. Would like to return to jiu-jitsu sometime, but may not happen. I'm adjusting and driving on. Hope to be able to lift by summer's end. Lost dangerous amount of weight. Eating is now a chore, but extremely important. I'm 6'0" and have generally been in the 170lb. range. Was down to 148#. Scared the crap out of me.

However, I have a great wife, and two wonderful kids(they are actually good kids!). Giving up or giving in isn't an option. So, I deal with the pain mentally and have not slacked in my responsibilities at all excepting the days I was in the hospital. Even then I prepared enough so that my absence wouldn't be felt very much.

If this is simply age related and not medical, then how you handle it mentally will determine your future.

Coming to grips with our own mortality isn't easy.

Do you have muscle pain associated with the decrease?

Hopefully it is something as simple as low T or statin side effect, and not rhabdomylosis. You didn't mention pain so prob. not rhab.
    No pain, and not on any meds. I'm thinking it has to be age(chemical) related, the drop off is very significant.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I am a lot older than you, 72 but age definitely has affected my ability both strength wise and endurance wise and working harder doesn't doesn't help. Recovery also takes longer. If you can't find a medical cause you may just have to accept it as part of the aging process. I thought it might be low T but test put me well into the normal range.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    No pain, and not on any meds. I'm thinking it has to be age(chemical) related, the drop off is very significant.
    For myself, if I experienced this, I would get some blood work to make sure my body was okay; this in turn should help you mentally if it turns out fine. If blood work was ok, then I would take some time off to rest/recuperate and then do a personal systems check to determine how hard my body will allow me to get back into lifting, cardio, BJJ, etc.

I've pushed my body hard over the yrs. with a fairly significant number of injuries; including 4 major concussions. All the previously broken bones feel fine as does the replaced knee. Closing in on two hundred stitches/staples. My back is the main issue.

I take my pain and currently reduced mobility as a mental and physical challenge. No fu****g way I'll be a pill head or allow myself to get fat and sedentary.

Have lost muscle mass, but still retain a "muscular" physique. Just not at the level I used to. Frustrating, but I have to accept it. Going to switch gears and focus more on endurance with reduced lifting. The only good thing about the weight loss is that I'm now very ripped. Wife calls me a healthy looking prisoner of war. Wiry with muscles. Not where I ever saw myself, but it could be worse.

Sucks not being ten feet tall and bullet proof anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast