Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large loss of strength the last 4 months.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    For myself, if I experienced this, I would get some blood work to make sure my body was okay; this in turn should help you mentally if it turns out fine. If blood work was ok, then I would take some time off to rest/recuperate and then do a personal systems check to determine how hard my body will allow me to get back into lifting, cardio, BJJ, etc.

I've pushed my body hard over the yrs. with a fairly significant number of injuries; including 4 major concussions. All the previously broken bones feel fine as does the replaced knee. Closing in on two hundred stitches/staples. My back is the main issue.

I take my pain and currently reduced mobility as a mental and physical challenge. No fu****g way I'll be a pill head or allow myself to get fat and sedentary.

Have lost muscle mass, but still retain a "muscular" physique. Just not at the level I used to. Frustrating, but I have to accept it. Going to switch gears and focus more on endurance with reduced lifting. The only good thing about the weight loss is that I'm now very ripped. Wife calls me a healthy looking prisoner of war. Wiry with muscles. Not where I ever saw myself, but it could be worse.

Sucks not being ten feet tall and bullet proof anymore.
    Same total weight, and same lean weight %.

Most of the guys just a few years old have had to switch to body building instead of strength training. So I think I'm on my down word slide, but will know more after test .

Feedback Score
    When you "always change up programming so you don't stagnate" it usually results in not going anywhere or even losing strength. Try finding a good program for strength and sticking with it. Check out Mark Rippetoe. He has a new book out for over 40yo lifters.

Mid 40s is not that old. I know lifters in their 60s that are still quite strong.

Could also be your a testosterone levels dropped.
    Last edited by sniperfrog; 03-26-17 at 14:34.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    Not sure if old age (mid 40's) has caught up with me or what.

But I have been experiencing some extreme loss of strength over the last 4 months...

Been weight lifting for 24 years, serious lifting the last 20.

I have lost 65 lbs off my bench max, 70 lbs off my Squat max and a whopping 90 of deadlift max...

Diet has always been constant, supplements always the same. Always changing up programming so I don't stagnate.

I started having recovery issues about 3 years ago, but never loss strength.

I go for blood work every 6 months (requirement of ins), got an appointment next week to get some testing done.

so... have I hit the downward spiral early?
    Have a full male hormonal panel done to rule out testosterone and other hormones as the, or part of, the culprit as you're the right age for noticing a drop/change there. Recovery gets much harder starting around mid 40s depending some variables.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    lyme disease?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    test came back abnormal... elevated white cell count. Have to go for another round of test Friday.

Feedback Score
    test came back abnormal... elevated white cell count. Have to go for another round of test Friday.
    Well, we got your back, my friend. Keep us updated.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Could be nothing. Or, you may be getting to the root of the issue.

Let us know the results. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well it turned out to be re-occurring Walking pneumonia....

Most of the symptoms I though were just allergies.

If not treated it can perpetuate, so the 3-4 months were me just continuously giving it back to myself.

Got a Drip today. I have to stay away from others for up to 10 days. No idea how many I might have given it to with my travel

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Well I'm glad you got a diagnosis and are starting treatment; instead of 'WTF is going on??'. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well it turned out to be re-occurring Walking pneumonia....

Most of the symptoms I though were just allergies.

If not treated it can perpetuate, so the 3-4 months were me just continuously giving it back to myself.

Got a Drip today. I have to stay away from others for up to 10 days. No idea how many I might have given it to with my travel
    I had that in college and that would explain it for sure.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast