Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fist serious pocket knife for 11 (almost 12) year old

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Fist serious pocket knife for 11 (almost 12) year old

My son is 11 (almost 12) and I want to buy him a high quality folding knife. I'm OK to spend up to $200. I'm not worried about him abusing or losing it, as he has other knives and is very responsible. This is something that would end up being engraved and I envision he will have it forever, so it doesn't bother me to spend a few bucks on it.

He has average hands for his age and wants something with a plain, non-serrated edge. The grip is a bit tricky. He's does not like rubbery textures, wood or bone. That leaves me with G10 type material or similar. He also wants a modern look, but not "Tactical". A drop point blade is preferred, so that makes it a bit simpler.

He likes this knife, but not the grip: https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/shallot. Something similar with beefier grips would likely be ideal.

American made is also very high on the list.

Any ideas? I'm really lost on this one...

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    ZT makes great stuff in that price range. The make a Titanium frame lock (ZT0450) that is a lot of knife for the money. All US made and overbuilt - http://amzn.to/2ocQ2f9

They also make the same model in carbon fiber which is a nice knife but it is so light it almost feels cheap. I would stick with the Titanium.

Feedback Score
    Benchmade Griptilian or Spyderco PM2 would be good choices, I think. Both are good all-around knives & made in USA.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a 12 year old son that has a decent knife collection thanks to dad. I like the idea of getting him US made knives when possible. I like this one:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...-steel-handles

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My son is a year younger than yours, and I plan on giving him a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. They are great little knives, that are a really good size for boys. You can get one lasermarked and delivered for ~$150.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    ZT makes great stuff in that price range. The make a Titanium frame lock (ZT0450) that is a lot of knife for the money. All US made and overbuilt - http://amzn.to/2ocQ2f9

They also make the same model in carbon fiber which is a nice knife but it is so light it almost feels cheap. I would stick with the Titanium.

This was going to be my suggestion. I have the ZT0450CF that I carry at work (office setting). It's a little less "scary" than a PM2 or something of that ilk. It's a great little knife.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Benchmade 940 or 940-2?

The 940-1 is well out of the $200 range, but the 940 and 940-2 are right in there at about $180 IIRC. The grips are aluminum on the 940 and G10 on the 940-2, they both have S30V blades, they fit just about anyone's hand well, and the blade is very easy to learn how to sharpen, if that's something that matters or will matter. Plus, there are several aftermarket scale options out there if he decides he wants to go and modify it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree, the ZT 0450 is a good choice. The 0801 and the 0770 would be good options also. I don't know how he feels about weight- it doesn't bother me but it bothers some. The 0450 and 0770 is nice and light, for a ZT. The CF versions are a bit lighter.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 03-24-17 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    My 14 year old son loves his Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and his Kershaw Knockout. He has cooled on his Benchmade Griptilian but would really like a 940. A ZT would be cool too.

Feedback Score
    I'd get a Kershaw Cryo II. They are like $30, and they are durable as all hell. The TiN finish is gorgeous, and seriously tough. He'll learn how to carry the knife, and it won't sting if/when he loses it. He'll learn all of the right stuff, with a good knife, without risking $200 worth of kit.

For engraving-level of gear, the ZT is a good choice given your goal.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 03-25-17 at 02:14.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast