Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to build a Spikes tactical AR15

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    I'm curious about this myself. I shot a friends AR he built with a spikes lower and we didn't have any issues and he still has it still to this day. I personally have only owned Smith and Wesson and Colt ARs.
    There is nothing wrong with them. If you want a Spikes lower, get a Spikes lower. If you want a Spikes BCG, get a Spikes BCG. Your buddy is happy with his, you'll be happy with yours. The negative view is a product of things that have pretty much nothing to do with the actual components.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Meh I've got tons of Spikes parts including uppers and lowers. Zero issues. Good stuff in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OIF Vet | 0331

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There are tons of threads on Spikes, all with the same responses. 70% say they're good to go. The others do not, because they've seen or had issues. In the opinion of many people on this site, if a company produces anything that fails other than the occasional lemon, it doesn't get the nod of approval rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I'm really curious though... Do we have evidence of an abnormal failure rate or is everyone holding a grudge because of some drama the owner caused years ago.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    I'm really curious though... Do we have evidence of an abnormal failure rate or is everyone holding a grudge because of some drama the owner caused years ago.
    Op...If you are serious about using the rifle for defense, do some research here. If you do, you won't end up buying spikes. Also, why would anyone want a rifle that has a logo showing two penis's crushing a bug?

Here's an image of a spikes tactical bcg gas key. Note the staking...

spikes gas key.jpg
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 03-24-17 at 21:05.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I recently got a Spikes Punisher lower just because the Punisher logo looked cool. For the price, I was much more impressed with the quality of Mega Arms. Of course I'll keep the Spikes and eventually build it out one day.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I would say to the op - spend some time on here reading up and researching and it will be time well spent.

Spikes does not get a lot of love on here at all. Most of it is based on some shady business practices back in the day where the owner was caught in a lie surrounding the testing of their bolts or barrels, I forget. They also total gouged during the 2008 panic.

With that said, I own one 11.5" lw spikes complete upper and its my most accurate AR out of the 7 I own (4 of which being factory BCM) if you can believe it. Has been 100% reliable in the 4 years I've owned it over thousands of rounds. I don't regret that purchase and wouldn't ever sell.

But you really need to do more research and you honestly have all the time in the world - the next few years are going to be some of the best in a very long time for AR owners. And you can just Krylon your AR if you are worried about color.

Lastly, how on earth has this thread made it this long without.....

I can't really ever look at my spikes anymore without seeing cock. At this point it just makes me laugh. It is really ****ing homosexual.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    I would say to the op - spend some time on here reading up and researching and it will be time well spent.

Spikes does not get a lot of love on here at all. Most of it is based on some shady business practices back in the day where the owner was caught in a lie surrounding the testing of their bolts or barrels, I forget. They also total gouged during the 2008 panic.

With that said, I own one 11.5" lw spikes complete upper and its my most accurate AR out of the 7 I own (4 of which being factory BCM) if you can believe it. Has been 100% reliable in the 4 years I've owned it over thousands of rounds. I don't regret that purchase and wouldn't ever sell.

But you really need to do more research and you honestly have all the time in the world - the next few years are going to be some of the best in a very long time for AR owners. And you can just Krylon your AR if you are worried about color.

Lastly, how on earth has this thread made it this long without.....

I can't really ever look at my spikes anymore without seeing cock. At this point it just makes me laugh. It is really ****ing homosexual.
    Haha never seen that before that's pretty funny.

To the others mentioning this being a defense rifle, I would consider this if I were to build it my secondary or backup AR. Like I said earlier, I have an LE6920 which I've owned for several years and it's yet to give me a problem. I also own 4 other long guns and five pistols. The reason why I considered getting a spikes lower is because I always wanted to build an AR and I live in NY. NY is beyond strict with its gun laws and if I were to order a lower along the lines of a DD, BCM, or LWCS for example I'd have to pay extra just for the transfer fees and background check. Spikes are among the most common lowers available in store at my LGS. It's tough getting what you want around here. I can't even order basic parts from Cheaper than dirt because they refuse to ship to NY. This, as well as what I've heard from friends and coworkers is that spikes is a good cost effective lower and I've seen a majority of good reviews online, that's all. I do plan to take my time, there's no rush being I have plenty of guns as is and I plan to build the gun over a few month span. All in all I do appreciate the suggestions. Thank you all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Haha never seen that before that's pretty funny.

To the others mentioning this being a defense rifle, I would consider this if I were to build it my secondary or backup AR. Like I said earlier, I have an LE6920 which I've owned for several years and it's yet to give me a problem. I also own 4 other long guns and five pistols. The reason why I considered getting a spikes lower is because I always wanted to build an AR and I live in NY. NY is beyond strict with its gun laws and if I were to order a lower along the lines of a DD, BCM, or LWCS for example I'd have to pay extra just for the transfer fees and background check. Spikes are among the most common lowers available in store at my LGS. It's tough getting what you want around here. I can't even order basic parts from Cheaper than dirt because they refuse to ship to NY. This, as well as what I've heard from friends and coworkers is that spikes is a good cost effective lower and I've seen a majority of good reviews online, that's all. I do plan to take my time, there's no rush being I have plenty of guns as is and I plan to build the gun over a few month span. All in all I do appreciate the suggestions. Thank you all.
    You're not going to get the response you're looking for in here about the spikes - but who cares. If this is a secondary rifle and you already have a colt, **** it. Buy the lower and enjoy building it up.

If you were doing uppers and barrels and bcgs, would potentially be a different story, but really for the most part a lower is a lower and you being able to inspect it before you buy it is also nice. And saving some cash on shipping and transfers is cherry on top.

I am a BCM fan through and through, but don't forget that whole drama with gen 3 pmags not fiting in some... Every company has their issues.

Just go for it and have fun, but when you have it all put together and come here to post pics of your first build - make sure you have your flame suit on

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have 4 Spikes lowers and they all worked with my LWRCI lpks and DD Buffer tubes. In fact all 4 became my SBR lowers because they worked better than most that I had.

5 SBRs and 4 are Spikes, one Charles Daly.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast