Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk Jon Boats and Fishing Yaks

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Mostly storage space, and that when my kid comes along, she doesnt have the upper body strength to keep up. I have a sit-in, fishing kayak, and it is cramped. If a line gets snagged, or a hook a monster, it flat out sucks.

I've kicked around picking up a used boat, but the people in this AO on Craigslist and BT are out of their minds. Like, blown out 12' Alumacrafts for as much as a new boat. It's nuts.
    I see what you mean about CL over there...yikes!?!?!

If you have your mind set on a boat, then you should get a boat. But, a sit on top kayak is the only way to go for fishing from a kayak, IMO. $500-600 will get you a good, new 12' sit on top. Plenty of space for storage, and pretty stable. I have fished, duck hunted, and bow fished off of mine. Standing up on it and shooting a bow is tricky, but not terribly challenging...t would be better if it was a little bit wider. If it were me, I would tether my kid's boat to mine and drag him along if he had trouble keeping up. There are plenty of tie-down points for that or securing gear. Mine is a 12' Ascend. Just something to think about.

To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've kicked that idea around as well.

I would absolutely love to pick up one of the Perception. Pescador Pilots that just came out.

The problem with doing that, is that is that for roughly the same amount of cash, I could slap together a decent little Jon I could throw the whole posse in.

If my wife and chilluns weren't into the lake as much as I am, I'd get the Perception and call it good.

ETA: One thing I absolutely love about the yaks is rapid deployment. I can carry my wife's boat and mine, throw em in the truck, and be outta the house in 2 minutes flat.

The other huge plus. Is you can literally put in anywhere. Boat ramps be damned.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-25-17 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    My buddy has 2 tarpon 120s. Awesome kayaks, and you can fid for a decent price if your patient. Sit-on for sure.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    ETA: One thing I absolutely love about the yaks is rapid deployment. I can carry my wife's boat and mine, throw em in the truck, and be outta the house in 2 minutes flat.

The other huge plus. Is you can literally put in anywhere. Boat ramps be damned.
    Roger that. I have drug my yak up to 100 yards to water. It'll slide under a fence, no problem. The original reason for getting mine, was for a river camping trip that never happened. I look forward to it, some day though.

One of those peddle-driven yaks would be great for open water. If you even put a trolling motor on it in Texas, you have to register it. I get in too much shallow water, trees, and weeds to use the peddle-drive. I like the quietness and peacefulness of paddling with my hands.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Absolutely. The Minn Kota Predator seems cool, but also seems like a pain in the ass constantly recharging, and dealing with that.

There's a particular park here that has river access, but no boat launch provisions. Not a problem for yaks/canoes.

The cool thing about that particular pedal drive system is that it can fold up into the boat if you get into "toilet deep" water.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    It seems like every time I start looking for a jon boat, I get my yak in the water and I simply abandon the idea. I also think back to the headache involved with the boat I had one time. However, just like you, I think of how nice it would be to be pack the kids along. Maybe, the right 14-18' flat-bottom will find me one day.

What size engine are you considering? Have you checked out online sources, other than craigslist? Like eBay or BoatTrader? Around here, I have seen all sorts of things used as trade-ins at car dealerships, including boats.

Feedback Score
    Sorry for disturbing this thread, but I've recently inherited a jon boat. It is in good condition, but I need to buy a trolling motor. having surfed the Internet and looked through the reviews (I liked one on https://trollingmotorsguide.com/best-trolling-motor-for-jon-boat/), I think the Minn Kota 1352255 Endura С2 55 motor might be a good choice. It has a 36-inch shaft and is fitted with a 6 inches long telescoping handle. Though it is heavy, this is the only disadvantage I found out. So, it would be great if someone with more experience could help me. Is the chosen motor good? Or should I search for another one? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Gregory234; 11-25-20 at 02:51.

Feedback Score
    I had a old princecraft welded boat, an 8 footer. And i can tell you. That thing is rugged. I hit soo many rocks and stumps with that boat and I never even dented it. Never even flaked the coating on it. It fell out of the back of my truck going 45 onto tarmac, and never dented it. I used it for years as a fishing/hunting/camping boat. I sold it and regretted it 2 months after buying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12