Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Jon Boats and Fishing Yaks

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Let's Talk Jon Boats and Fishing Yaks

Been kayak fishing for years and I'm pretty much burned out on it.

Looking at a handful of 14-footers. Is a welded boat worth the extra scratch? Like, REALLY worth it?

Any things you would change if you were buying your boat all over again?

This thing is going to be predominantly used on a flat-assed lake. I'm not trying to win tournaments; just trying to stack slabs like cordwood.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 03-25-17 at 07:27. Reason: Dumbphone

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    What part of kayak fishing has you burned out?

I've been in a bunch of different jon boats, but never owned one. Buying new may be what you are looking to do, but I would find a used one that is in good shape.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Mostly storage space, and that when my kid comes along, she doesnt have the upper body strength to keep up. I have a sit-in, fishing kayak, and it is cramped. If a line gets snagged, or a hook a monster, it flat out sucks.

I've kicked around picking up a used boat, but the people in this AO on Craigslist and BT are out of their minds. Like, blown out 12' Alumacrafts for as much as a new boat. It's nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    What part of kayak fishing has you burned out?

I've been in a bunch of different jon boats, but never owned one. Buying new may be what you are looking to do, but I would find a used one that is in good shape.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    The only time I think welded is a plus is when it's a double hull boat. I prefer the smaller rivet boats. I have a 10' and a 12'. The smaller boats don't require a trailer and are a easy carry to water.

The smaller boats seem more rigid. I've had my 10' in the Gulfo De Mexico. While scary being out there, the breaks didn't fold it in half.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Well, now!

You just said the magic words, as a couple of times a year, I have the opportunity to be near the Gulf coast...

Being able to move it is a big deal.

Have you had any leaking issues with dem rivets, or is that just a bullshit tactic for the boat man to upsell me on a welded boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    The only time I think welded is a plus is when it's a double hull boat. I prefer the smaller rivet boats. I have a 10' and a 12'. The smaller boats don't require a trailer and are a easy carry to water.

The smaller boats seem more rigid. I've had my 10' in the Gulfo De Mexico. While scary being out there, the breaks didn't fold it in half.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Have you had any leaking issues with dem rivets, or is that just a bullshit tactic for the boat man to upsell me on a welded boat?
    Every riveted boat I've seen leaked sooner or later. And faster if used in SW.

You are right, local used CL listings are stupid. Then I hear of a neighbor selling one on a trailer with a Suzuki outboard for $400. Just gotta be there, many sell that way
    I'd probably go gheenu before Jonboat.

I've used my mohawk blazer abs canoe in the gulf, the keys, the Indian River, alatoona, Carter's lake, and a zillion Creek's streams and swamps. Just hard to beat a canoe. Nantahala, hiawassee, okeekenofee, etc

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Ha!

I forgot you were local. I'm still down for cruising the backwaters in the 'yak, but for family outings, the kid can't keep up, and fishing overall sucks with a sit-in.

I've been wanting to hit Carter's Lake HARD.

You know of what CL ads I speak of. They look like:

"1982 Aluminum Jon Boat. Couple of leaks. Could use some TLC. Will trade for 4-wheeler plus Colts 1911. $1400 with original trailer for cash deals."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've been wanting to hit Carter's Lake HARD.

You know of what CL ads I speak of. They look like:
    Yep, that's bout the norm.

Carters lake is one of my favorites for boating/skiing/camping

I think muddy Alatoona is better for fishing but you have to go way up Creek's to get away from the traffic. Or fish at night.

Remember canoes hold two! And you can put a small motor on gheenus. Until you've been in one they don't make sense. Then it clicks

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Well, now!

You just said the magic words, as a couple of times a year, I have the opportunity to be near the Gulf coast...

Being able to move it is a big deal.

My 12' (1969 Sears!) seeps some. The water evaporates faster than it accumulates during the summer months. During the winter I occasionally have to bail some out. We're talking 5-6 Dr Pepper cans worth, not gallons. I could probably make it dry if I spent a little time with some 10 minute epoxy.

The 10' (2010 Tracker) stays dry.

Both boats get beat on fairly hard. I modded a 2 wheel dolly for the long hauls that allows everything in one trip. For the inside 1/4 mile trips I take the boat first, come back and get the motor along with a handful of crap then return for the rest of the crap.

I run a 39lb 2.5 HP 4 stroke Merc. It's lighter than a trolling motor/battery combo while pushing around 90 pounds of thrust. It's not fast (8 mph just me, around 5 mph with 2 dudes and extra crap) but it beats rowing or a dead battery.

Feedback Score
    14' tracker Grizzly is hands down the "biggest" 14' welded boat i have seen. Loved that boat so much, that I bought the 20' Grizzly. Demand for the Grizzly is good among those who know that boat. It's wide and stable. If you find a deal on one, get it. There is a market for them.

I converted mine to a center console. It was the most interesting looking and unique 14' Grizzly out there. I sold it and got $4500. Keep in mind it had upgrades.

Look at the Grizzly. You won't be disappointed.

Oh, FYI many people told me that would be a great bay boat. The guy who bought it said he got it for TX bay fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast