Thread: Is This Correct? Thorntail SBR Ring Mount Question

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Is This Correct? Thorntail SBR Ring Mount Question

Alright, so I got a Haley Thorntail SBR light mount with 1" ring.
    The light is an Elzetta, so I should be good with the 1" ring, and the ring I got does say "1.00" on it, so I'm sure it's correct.

I've got a bit of a gap on one side of the ring when the light is installed, between the ring and mount body.
    The ring came with three screws- two short and one longer one. I've got a short screw on the side where the ring mounts flush against the mount body, and the longer screw on the side with the gap.

Is this all correct?
    Should there be a gap there like that?
    See attached picture.

Attachment 44601

Best I could find on google was this: http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...a5c1511ae9.jpg
    So... yes?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have several Thorntail/Haley mounts used with Surefire G2X lights. IIRC, the screw on the side of the ring that has the curved portion up against the mount is tightened fully so that the ring is up against the mount arm. The side opposite screw is tightened just enough to secure the light. So having a slight gap is normal as shown in your photo. I don't know what material the Elzetta body is made of, but on the Surefire lights the Nitrolon material does compress a little over time so that the ring needs to be tightened up a bit more.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Gotcha.
    I've had a couple different light mounts, but they didn't have quite as much gap left over when tightened, so I just wanted to be sure.

I've have to find a rubber spacer so it doesn't offend my OCD...
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Yea, that gap is normal. I have the same thing with my Thorntail and Elzetta combos. Like 3 AE said, make sure the L shaped side is tightened all the way down before tightening the side with the gap.

I didn't realize that at first and alternated tightening each screw like I would lug nuts on a car, and in the end the light could torque a little in a see-saw kind of motion. Realized my mistake and haven't had a problem since tightening the L side first.