Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DD MK18 begining to keyhole

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Obligatory "why run cheap, questionable ammo through an expensive weapon" post.
    They have a fair amount of success, I've seen them sponsor several events and have heard very few bad things in the last several years. Combine that with prices and availability of the last few years, it was an attractive option. I still have at least two thousand rounds of it in various calibers, I just won't buy more given the current climate and my experiences with the keyholing and a very sketchy looking 9mm reman case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    very sketchy looking 9mm reman case.
    I hear ya, it's actually their own new case that's the problem. There's a ridge inside designed as a stop against bullet set back, which is a good idea. The problem is that it can and has broken on me at that juncture, leaving the top half of the case stuck in the chamber, and a fresh round fed in behind it. Dead gun and a real joy getting your gun apart twisted up like that.

Just wanted to point that out. I still have some FM 9mm reman to burn through, but I don't worry about that 'cause it's other people's brass. It's FMs own proprietary new brass that I won't shoot.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    very sketchy looking 9mm reman case.
    Had a few hundred rounds of Freedom munitions new 9mm, loaded up several magazines and I went to the range. While at the range I had a few failure to feeds. Finally I started checking my rounds thoroughly. Sure as shit, the extra box of labeled 115gr new 9mm, turned out to be a very different 9mm......

20160409_135246 by Willis, on Flickr

Freedom munitions is local to me, and that's a big reason why I started buying them back in the day. But after this and several other issues prior, I have moved on.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They have a fair amount of success...
    Anything that can generate 35,000 PSI (9mm SAAMI max) to 62,000 PSI (5.56) anywhere near my face, I want a little more assurance than "a fair amount of success."
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Anything that can generate 35,000 PSI (9mm SAAMI max) to 62,000 PSI (5.56) anywhere near my face, I want a little more assurance than "a fair amount of success."
    Better off shooting steel cased stuff.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    .380 AUTO case??

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Had a few hundred rounds of Freedom munitions new 9mm, loaded up several magazines and I went to the range. While at the range I had a few failure to feeds. Finally I started checking my rounds thoroughly. Sure as shit, the extra box of labeled 115gr new 9mm, turned out to be a very different 9mm......

20160409_135246 by Willis, on Flickr

Freedom munitions is local to me, and that's a big reason why I started buying them back in the day. But after this and several other issues prior, I have moved on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    .380 AUTO case??
    Dang, sure looks like it
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    .380 AUTO case??
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Dang, sure looks like it
    Very close, 9x18 Mak

20160409_151920 by Willis, on Flickr
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GarandThumb View Post
    I've got a Factory SBR DD MK18 that has 6k rounds through it, 5k of those suppressed, none of it full auto. Typical strings of rapid fire were around 6-7 rounds with time to cool off. Just recently (last 300 rounds) I began to see key-holing every 50 or so rounds. Ammunition has been brass cased 62gr freedom munitions the entire time. Changes the rifle has had are a Vltor A5 system with standard weight buffer (since the first round) and geissele G2S trigger. Suppressor is a Surefire SOCOM556-RC with 3 prong mount, mounted by professional gunsmithing shop to ensure it is centered.

I'd be surprised if the barrel was that worn out at this point. But wanted to reach out. A buddy speculated that it may be that the rounds are getting pushed in during feeding and this is causing the key-holing? Any input gentlemen?
    If you're barrel is keyholing at 5k, you need to drop yourself.

Good to see you on here. Diggin' the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Very close, 9x18 Mak

20160409_151920 by Willis, on Flickr
    Geez....
    I'd heard about some QC problems with them in the past, shortly after they first started, but figured they had been long worked out.
    I had some of their pistol ammo, and it shot just as good as PMC for range use, but after other ammo became available after the great panic of '13, I never bothered to go back. Guess I haven't missed out on anything....
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The bane of the 9mm loader....the Makarov.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast