Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me 629-2e...... Did I do good?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

New to me 629-2e...... Did I do good?

I have been wanting a .44 mag for awhile but I wasn't in the market for one considering I purchased a sig 320 rx about a month ago. I went to the gun range and did the traditional walk around the used gun case after my session. I saw this 629 sitting there and it immediately caught my eye. I'm a sucker for un-fluted cylinders. The store was closing and I know the gun shop owner since I go there all the time so I had him hold it and I would come by the next day to check it out.

Based on my research, it is a 629-2e 3in barrel made in 89' and this is one of the 3200 made. This included the original box, original grips and all the goodies. It is ported so it could either hurt or increase value depending on the person. (I like it). So how desirable is this model? Any smith experts out there that can weigh in on my newly aquired piece? I paid $650 and it included 180rounds of ammo. It was on consignment as well. Condition wise I would rate it in excellent condition. It has a slight ring mark around the cylinder, locks up tight trigger is remarkable! No pits, scratches or gauges of any kind grips could use cleaning but that's expected. I have few read value could be as high as $1500 or as low as $500. Is this the run of the mill .44 or did I find a gem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Werewolf killing pistol. You are good to go from Buick to chipmunk. That's an awesome pistol you just found. Get a holster and a set of speed loaders and learn to use them.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 03-25-17 at 21:51.

Feedback Score
    I think $650 is a real good price, especially since you got almost 4 boxes of ammo too...

Feedback Score
    I was drinking your name sake when I answered last night, sorry for the cryptic answer.
    In my humble opinion you found a very desirable sample of S&W art and the price you paid was just over half of what the revolver is worth.
    Nice find!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brother- you did, indeed, do well! Ive always loved those revolvers...wanted one SO BAD back in the day!
    If'n I aint mistaken...they cost that much, or close to it, back then. Great gun...enjoy!
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 03-27-17 at 06:50.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    You did really good. Gun should shoot as good as it looks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes it is a sweet shooter! I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks for all the replies.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    Werewolf killing pistol.
    This is my new favorite caliber discussion quote.

OP - The "dash" -2 version is worth more to hard core SW collectors than you may realize.

Yours has a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder, both of which are lustful for to a collector, in addition to hand fitted rather than MiM molded parts

Per wiki ... 29-2s were made in the 60s, aka SW's hayday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_29

While yours is a 29-2 E, it's bones are still 29-2, just some sort of special version of it as you note

Mechanical condition ... in addition to what you checked, when you cock the hammer back very slowly, do you hear a click (cylinder bolt locking) before the hammer is all the way back? No observable cracks in the forcing cone?
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-29-17 at 16:25.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Mechanical condition ... in addition to what you checked, when you cock the hammer back very slowly, do you hear a click (cylinder bolt locking) before the hammer is all the way back? No observable cracks in the forcing cone?
    I checked by pulling back slowly on the hammer and yes it locks up before the hammer locks back. Every cylinder, same spot. Like I said, It's in mint condition. Grips could use some cleaning but that's it. Forcing cone is in good condition and The cylinder gap is within speck as well.

This does share it's roots with a 29 but the 6 as you know designated it as a stain less steel model. This one was made In 89.i still need to email Lew Horton to see if it is one of his. it could increase in value maybe but still. I'll to know the history of this piece.

I'm on the fence as to if I should keep it or sell it for profit BUT I know I will regret it. And I know more than likely I will NEVER come across another in this condition let alone same price.

Feedback Score
    Great, glad all that checks out, and I stand corrected on my "misdiagnosis"

DO NOT SELL THAT!
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-30-17 at 13:19.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast