Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick trigger guard roll pin question

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Looks fine from here.
    I figured. Just a tad bit oblong now probably from hammering so much. These magpul pins are tough.

Feedback Score
    You shouldn't have to pound on the thing. It should have just "tapped in" a little snug. What are you using to tap it in with? Just invest in a set of multiple size roll pin punches and make sure you use the right size. If it is too tight then you can always try a drop of CLP.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade666 View Post
    You shouldn't have to pound on the thing. It should have just "tapped in" a little snug. What are you using to tap it in with? Just invest in a set of multiple size roll pin punches and make sure you use the right size. If it is too tight then you can always try a drop of CLP.
    I had a cheap set of punches but the one bent when I banged it in. The mallet I had didn't do the trick at first so I switched to a small hammer and knocked it in. In the spot it's in now it won't budge anymore. It's in all the way.

Feedback Score
    I always lube the roll pins. Always. It makes it so much easier.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I always lube the roll pins. Always. It makes it so much easier.
    That's what I'll do when I build up my new lower for my new AR. This was a pain.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Be careful tapping on the pin. Lots of people have found this out the hard way after breaking an ear off of the lower. There's a rather inexpensive screw press for dealing with that roll pin.

Feedback Score
    This normally happens when the trigger guard is not in place when the pin is started. Making it worse, using no lube will take more force to drive the pin. I don't know how a press could make this any easier or safer for the lower.

Quote Originally Posted by capt46wfd View Post
    Be careful tapping on the pin. Lots of people have found this out the hard way after breaking an ear off of the lower. There's a rather inexpensive screw press for dealing with that roll pin.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The length of the spec pin is below flush on both sides.
    This is the correct answer.

And on another note, I like the KAC trigger guard better than the Magpul. It leaves less sharp edges on the rear ears of the lower.
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-04-17 at 13:18.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This normally happens when the trigger guard is not in place when the pin is started. Making it worse, using no lube will take more force to drive the pin. I don't know how a press could make this any easier or safer for the lower.
    Agreed, but OP already stated cheap punch bent, hole elongated and he'd use lube next time. The press is safer because it's the proper size for the roll pin and the load is applied gradually, unlike the impact from cheap punch and bigger hammer. I just said to be careful. You can't un-break it; stranger things have happened.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    This is the correct answer.

And on another note, I like the KAC trigger guard better than the Magpul. It leaves less sharp edges on the rear ears of the lower.
    +1 on the KAC trigger guard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12