Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Hills 5.56mm 77 gr TMK and 69 gr TMK Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Our goal for tomorrow it so get a confirmed 1300 yard hit with the 77 gr TMK. We've never had a NO DOUBT 1300 yard confirmed hit with anything under .308 due to the bullet running out of ass at that distance, but we're shooting that trial first thing in the morning.
    Using a bolt gun or AR?
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    We use H322, Russian primers with remarkable results. Our 77's Nosler and SMK AND TMK sub moa with multiple barrels.
    Varget seems like a ruff way to go for 223 AMMO.

Let me know if you want load data, best of luck

PB
    I'd be curious to see as well. Are you getting fragmentation velocities out of the H322?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Black Hills 5.56mm 77 gr TMK and 69 gr TMK Review

Moreover, we can expect frag velocity to be different with the addition of the polymer tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tylerw02; 04-23-17 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, we wanted to do some bucket and telephone book test with the two loads to see how they fragged. Mark used a bolt gun for 1,300 yards.
    And he can confirm but he used to dump 21.8 grains of H322 with wolf small rifle primers. Any ole brass worked fine typically. But the load shoots moa in 10 different guns. And half inch in several guns. Several guys on the forum have used the load with success.

Primers matter, which sucks because the wolf are not available any more. Tula primers are nice too.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-23-17 at 16:23.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ac View Post
    I'd be curious to see as well. Are you getting fragmentation velocities out of the H322?
    20 inch bolt 2889 fps with a hot load I have on record. I think most recent powder lots were in the 2663 fps range.
    16 gas gun 2527 fps and another 16 inch gun was 2570fps
    10.5 gas gun 2260 fps

If we want a little hotter load we run XBR and gain some velocity. The load was built for accuracy more than speed. Also, the brass lives to shoot another day.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-23-17 at 17:57.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Surprising the shorty outruns the 16".

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Surprising the shorty outruns the 16".

Yea, that is impossible. I must have screwed that record up. We had some very hot XBR powder, 1 8lb jug and it screwed us up for a while. those numbers were very near that data so .... I was pulling data off my cell while posting with my cell, No way that happened. I'll fix that tard post.

What velocities are you looking for with 77's?

I guess its time to take the guns out and chrono our loads again. Our summer numbers are typically a little hotter. And we run through the H322 pretty good. We recently started mixing all the jugs up so we have one consistent lot/load.

But the hot summers still change things for us when it gets about 8,000 degrees.

PB

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 04-23-17 at 18:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'd like to be around 2600 and accurate. I'm finally doing better but like you said, Varget it a pain to load. I'm thinking about switching back to TAC and trying to tweak it til I get some accuracy but I may try a pound of the H322.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    Using a bolt gun or AR?
    Bolt gun. We got it. Finally. I picked the 77s, because I thought they had the best chance. We've tried shooting the 1300 yard gong with .223/5.56 before with no luck at all. I mean... no dirt kick up on the hill or anything.

The NSX on the bolt gun only came up 17.0 mils. We shot that and got the impact on the hill. 2 mils low and 3 mils of wind. On the second shot, I just held the extra 2 mils, held the wind correction, and "tink". We finally got it. I tried 6 more times, but just danced around the steel. That distance is way beyond realistic 5.56 shooting, but I've wanted to accomplish this for some time.

This is the target (white object high on the hill):

Last edited by markm; 04-24-17 at 19:47.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    Moreover, we can expect frag velocity to be different with the addition of the polymer tip.
    My guess is yes. In my unscientific water jug test, the TMK appeared to frag a noticeable amount more than OTM. All of them are well within frag velocities with even a 10.5 barrel.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast