Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftdave View Post
I like ESEE knives with their NO BS WARRANTY. I have 4 knives from theM- ESEE 3, Eskabar, ESEE 6 and junglas. Tough as nails. Beckers are great too and a little cheaper
Good taste in quality tough carbon steel knives. Ok I'll confess, it's "good" because it agrees with my taste. But like my post above, pair up a great carbon steel chopper from one of these brands, with a quality smaller stainless blade for slicing and detail work, you've got everything you need. The smaller stainless blade could even be a quality folder with a strong lock mechanism like a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I know people who go that route and I've done it before too. However, I'm personally kind of down on folders lately for safety and reliability reasons, I've gone 100% fixed when backpacking, and now even for EDC, I'm getting a sheath made and am going to try going 100% fixed for that too. Especially when hiking and camping, I want to be able to use my small/detail knife for almost any kind of task, including splitting kindling, and while SOME folders are tough enough to take light batoning, they're not made for it, and it's a really bad idea and risky.