Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftdave View Post
    I like ESEE knives with their NO BS WARRANTY. I have 4 knives from theM- ESEE 3, Eskabar, ESEE 6 and junglas. Tough as nails. Beckers are great too and a little cheaper
    Good taste in quality tough carbon steel knives. Ok I'll confess, it's "good" because it agrees with my taste. But like my post above, pair up a great carbon steel chopper from one of these brands, with a quality smaller stainless blade for slicing and detail work, you've got everything you need. The smaller stainless blade could even be a quality folder with a strong lock mechanism like a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I know people who go that route and I've done it before too. However, I'm personally kind of down on folders lately for safety and reliability reasons, I've gone 100% fixed when backpacking, and now even for EDC, I'm getting a sheath made and am going to try going 100% fixed for that too. Especially when hiking and camping, I want to be able to use my small/detail knife for almost any kind of task, including splitting kindling, and while SOME folders are tough enough to take light batoning, they're not made for it, and it's a really bad idea and risky.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Agreed. The Condor line from El Salvador is a very good buy for the money. They are NOT affiliated with the cheap Chinese ripoff company.

I have one of their 14" parangs, and it's excellent.
    Oh yes, love the big ole Condor choppers! I have a Condor Golok, 14" blade and about 1.75 pounds, that thing will easily out-chop small hatchets and axes, plus you can still use it as a regular machete to sweep limbs off of branches, clear brush, and I've even choked up on the rear part of my blade back near the handle and chopped vegetables with it. With a good convex grind on one of the big Condor choppers, you have an awesome tool. I used to carry mine strapped to my pack. The reason I don't carry it much anymore--mostly just use at home as a machete and wood chopper--is the overall length is 21". I've found that my ESEE Junglas 1, at 16" plus a bit more for the sheath, is "good enough" compared to the larger Golok, and MUCH easier to carry.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-28-17 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    However, I'm personally kind of down on folders lately for safety and reliability reasons, I've gone 100% fixed when backpacking, and now even for EDC
    I had started to think similar, but then got a Griptilian and never looked back. Never had an issue, and it physically cannot close accidently unless the scales break or similar, which will never happen unless I intentionally broke the knife by putting it in a vice and smashing it with a hammer.

I'm not a fan of the sharpened pry bar school of knife usage. I'd rather cut over to a Sven saw or a hand axe at that point. And prefer the over the acts for most things. Not as cool to carry and play with, but much more effective in the real world uses

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As a long-time knife user, I have found (at least for myself) that a knife with around a 6-inch blade is best for general "survival" and camping chores. Although I will admit, I have been progressively moving toward smaller 4-inch knives more and more lately.

My four go-to "survival" blades:

Fallkniven A1, ESEE-6, Swamprat RMD (prototype version), and a Blackheart Gunner-12 (pictured alone)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    As mentioned above, I am finding that I can get by with knives in the four inch range, especially if coupled with other implements such as a folding saw or a small axe. My absolute favorites that I own is a Boreal model by Diving Sparrow and a Mountaineer by Adventure Sworn Knives.

Feedback Score
    I started with a big ole Esee 6 which I have convexed the edge and it is a great knife and super sharp. My go to knife is a BHK canteen shop woodcrafter. It’s a standard bush craft blade. I like the scandi grind for wood working. I also really enjoying carrying it in the leather holster with the dangler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What ever happened to the USMC KA-BAR?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aclawrence View Post
    I started with a big ole Esee 6 which I have convexed the edge and it is a great knife and super sharp. My go to knife is a BHK canteen shop woodcrafter. It’s a standard bush craft blade. I like the scandi grind for wood working. I also really enjoying carrying it in the leather holster with the dangler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did the same with the ESEE 6P. Still use i and it still holds an amazingly sharp edge. I picked up and ESEE 4, that travels in my checked luggage when I travel I’d like to get a leather sheath similar to your black sheath for my ESEE 4. Nice blades.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I did the same with the ESEE 6P. Still use i and it still holds an amazingly sharp edge. I picked up and ESEE 4, that travels in my checked luggage when I travel I’d like to get a leather sheath similar to your black sheath for my ESEE 4. Nice blades.

How are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?

I've moved away from bigger knives to Helle and Grohmann knives in the 4-5" range.

I don't want to beat up my Helle with hard usage lately, so thinking about an ESSE replacement.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    How are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?

I've moved away from bigger knives to Helle and Grohmann knives in the 4-5" range.

I don't want to beat up my Helle with hard usage lately, so thinking about an ESSE replacement.
    Well the ESEE 4 is sturdy like my 6 is. The steel seems to be the same quality although for some reason I have a hard time getting the same level of sharpness on my 4 as my 6. Could be operator headspace though.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast