Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Kimbers!

Feedback Score

I hate Kimbers!

Yep, that is what I said. I hate Kimbers. Every single one I have fired was a preening safe queen that would only work if you use the most expensive magazines made of meteorite and unobtainium, or hipster vintage artisanal 45ACP ball made from reclaimed virgin copper and brass. Did I mention that the ammo needed to be non-GMO? I have friends who swear by them and have tried to educate me on the virtues and the reason why I needed a Kimber in my collection. I would just blow them off and go back to shooting my Sig Legion, which is made from real operators, or so I have been told.

Over the past few months, I have been pining for another commander sized 1911. To me, the Commander is the best 1911, with a rail making it perfection. After letting go of my Sig 1911 TacOps Carry, I kicked myself for days, and knew that I would need another one soon. I almost broke down and bought a Rock Island, because I have had a few in the past, and other than needing to have the feed ramp polished, they run nicely. They just didn't look that good, and they are heavy. I was trolling a few shops in my area, looking for my next piece when I came across a Kimber Pro CDP II. It was the only 1911 that I had see that fit my criteria. It was lightweight, with a Commander frame and night sights. Since it was a Kimber, I passed it up to look at a Ruger Commander that he had next to it. It was okay. Not as nice as my Sigs, and only cosmetically better than the Rocks.

I then asked to see the Kimber. You know, for shits and giggles. Just at that moment, the skies opened and there was the singing of angels as I picked up this piece of aluminum and steel. I racked that slide and was almost sold at that point. It was smooth. Smoother than my Sigs were, but the trigger was a little heavier. I looked at the price. He was asking $850 for with, which was only $100 more than the Ruger. Since the Kimber came with night sights and the Ruger didn't, I figured I would see what I could do on the price. I got him down to $800 with 3 mags OTD. I bought two more mags while I was there, just to see what mags work best.

I went to the range with it this past Saturday. I wanted to run it to see if it would make a carry piece, or if I was going to throw it into the safe for a future sale. I had 150 rounds of Winchester Service Grade 230 Ball, 50 rounds of Tula, 100 rounds of 230gr FMJ reloads and 50 rounds of assorted JHP. I broke it down at home to take a quick look to see if it needed a cleaning, and it barely looked fired. I wondered if it had even gotten through its break-in period. I wiped it down and put it back together. It must have been trying to be on its best behavior because it only had two failures. That was due to my son limp wristing it, and that was only with a Kimber ProTac 8 round mag. I was amazed at how well it ran, because it ate everything I fed it, and was accurate. This one Kimber has me rethinking what I feel about the brand. Hell, I may even by another one day, if I can find a railed Pro somewhere.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I picked up a used desert warrior with the Kimber .22lr conversion. As a 45 the gun has been flawless with all kinds of ammo- Tula and aluminum range junk, several brands of 230 ball and a few different full power defensive loads. The mags are Wilson 47d's so I can't comment on any other type of magazine. The only issues with the 22lr are with cheap (well, used to be cheap) brick ammo that had a full underpowered rounds that FTE'd. Tap and rack cleared the malfunctions with out issue. With good 22lr like CCI and Norma I have not experienced a single fault in 500 rounds.

Ps- that's a nice looking gun, and looks like you got it for a good
    price.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 03-27-17 at 09:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    I picked up a used desert warrior with the Kimber .22lr conversion. As a 45 the gun has been flawless with all kinds of ammo- Tula and aluminum range junk, several brands of 230 ball and a few different full power defensive loads. The mags are Wilson 47d's so I can't comment on any other type of magazine. The only issues with the 22lr are with cheap (well, used to be cheap) brick ammo that had a full underpowered rounds that FTE'd. Tap and rack cleared the malfunctions with out issue. With good 22lr like CCI and Norma I have not experienced a single fault in 500 rounds.

Ps- that's a nice looking gun, and looks like you got it for a good
    price.
    Thanks, I was looking at the .22 conversion for plinking and I think Kimber only recommends CCI. I know I have issues with cheap .22lr in my son's rifles. CCI always worked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDKJudoka View Post
    Thanks, I was looking at the .22 conversion for plinking and I think Kimber only recommends CCI. I know I have issues with cheap .22lr in my son's rifles. CCI always worked.
    I have a TLE/RL II, which I love, and a Kimber 22 conversion kit. The kit HATES Remington ammo but loves Federal, CCI, Winchester and Speer. I just have to make sure the magazines are clean, but taking them apart and wiping them down works like a charm. The Federal and CCI run the cleanest but the Winchester and the Speer aren't bad. Love the kit and the only problem I've ever had was when the extractor was filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDKJudoka View Post
    Yep, that is what I said. I hate Kimbers. Every single one I have fired was a preening safe queen that would only work if you use the most expensive magazines made of meteorite and unobtainium, or hipster vintage artisanal 45ACP ball made from reclaimed virgin copper and brass.
    If you had negative experience with one, why did you get more? As a rule, those most knowledgeable about 1911s, do not recommend Kimber. They are considered the Bush Master of the 1911 world. There will always be someone who will tell you they have one that.s been perfect (just as owners of BM, DPMS, etc) but the BTDT in the 1911 world, do not as a rule recommend it. I have heard your story way too many times to ever consider that brand of 1911. I used to be all about 1911s, them went to polymer wonder pistol via M&P with APEX kit, so am out of the loop on latest in 1911 world. My advise, sell your Kimbers to your expery buddy who talked you into that brand, and get something known for quality and reliability, two terms not generally associated with Kimbers.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    7-8 years or so ago I had a Kimber Pro CDP and had no issues at all with it. It ran everything I shot and had no malfunctions. I ended up selling it to purchase another weapon. Then I joined this site and read all of the issues that Kimber had. Only thing I can think is that I got lucky and bought one of the good ones. Would I buy one again. Nope! Not when I can get a Colt for the same money. I'm about a gnat's hair away from buying a new Colt LW Commander as is.

Feedback Score
    I purchased one about 3 years ago worked fine for a few mags worth then had issues, tried different mags, ammo, polished and repolished feed ramp, basically just a very pretty gun that served no utility. Sold it at a loss needless to say, and moved on. Only 1911's purchased after that were Dan Wesson.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    The bulk of my 1911 knowledge comes from fixing the Kimberly I used to own...

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If you had negative experience with one, why did you get more? As a rule, those most knowledgeable about 1911s, do not recommend Kimber. They are considered the Bush Master of the 1911 world. There will always be someone who will tell you they have one that.s been perfect (just as owners of BM, DPMS, etc) but the BTDT in the 1911 world, do not as a rule recommend it. I have heard your story way too many times to ever consider that brand of 1911. I used to be all about 1911s, them went to polymer wonder pistol via M&P with APEX kit, so am out of the loop on latest in 1911 world. My advise, sell your Kimbers to your expery buddy who talked you into that brand, and get something known for quality and reliability, two terms not generally associated with Kimbers.
    Not to disagree with you per se, but I have a Warrior that feeds and functions with the utmost reliability. My Kimber experience is based on two models I've owned, the TLE II and the Warrior. The TLE II had two trips back to the factory and still then wouldn't function with anything resembling reliability. The Warrior has had exactly 3 malfunctions in >7,000 rounds. I functions with everything from my LSWC target loads to full powdered Hornady XTPs over a stout charge of AA #5. I love my Warrior. I bought it wanting a railed 1911 when it's competitor the MC Operator was no where to be found. Now I own both and I like the Warrior better.

At my local range I am known as the 1911 guy and every time I engage in conversation with someone over what brand to buy, I always steer them away from Kimber, unless they are fully aware of what they are potentially getting into.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichDC2 View Post
    That rifle has won trophies for its game face alone!

Feedback Score
    I am normally one that does steer clear of Kimber, but for the price, I felt that even it is was a dud, I know where the fixes are. It doesn't hurt that a friend of mine if an armorer and know his way around 1911s (Kimbers in particular) His run fine, doesn't matter what ammo or mag. He mentioned that the CDPs are actually a little better QC'd since they come from the "Custom Shop". Personally, if this shop had a Sig 1911 Carry, i would have taken it in a heartbeat over the Kimber, but he didn't, so here I am. Maybe I got one of the duds that works perfectly, but I am happy with it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast