Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Kimbers!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by amd5007 View Post
    Not to disagree with you per se, but I have a Warrior that feeds and functions with the utmost reliability. My Kimber experience is based on two models I've owned, the TLE II and the Warrior. The TLE II had two trips back to the factory and still then wouldn't function with anything resembling reliability. The Warrior has had exactly 3 malfunctions in >7,000 rounds. I functions with everything from my LSWC target loads to full powdered Hornady XTPs over a stout charge of AA #5. I love my Warrior. I bought it wanting a railed 1911 when it's competitor the MC Operator was no where to be found. Now I own both and I like the Warrior better.

At my local range I am known as the 1911 guy and every time I engage in conversation with someone over what brand to buy, I always steer them away from Kimber, unless they are fully aware of what they are potentially getting into.
    I think this might be one of the more honest points regarding Kimber I've seen. I'll be honest, my personal view of them is a cut rate manufacturer, mostly because I've seen more than a few issues from them, in particular two custom Kimbers that came from the factory so messed up that the pistols would not function, both ended up requiring multiple trips back to the manufacturer and about six months before Kimber ended up replacing the entire slides and the guns then proceeded to work as one would expect. This has been 6-8 years now and both are still going strong, and still in the carry rotations of the individuals who own them, and both shoot and group very well. But, six months to fix issues that came down to both having the slides machined improperly I have issues with. Granted the issues were fixed, but still. On the subject of the Warriors, I can not honestly say I've seen much bad on them, and most I've known who have had them said they ran well, to the point there have been times where I looked at a used one but funds were not available, and honestly I find myself more drawn to the Current Springer offerings.

I think the point ends up coming down to a lot of people's minds isn't that Kimber can't make a gun that runs well. They can, so can others. The issue comes down to that they seem to have put out at times more problem guns than other manufacturers and if it doesn't run well it could be a royal headache, which is what keeps me away from them.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have shot a lot of USPSA and the Kimbers always seem to fail. I have seen multiple safety lever disintegrate to having guns full auto and dump full mags.

That was enough for me to never buy a kimber. I always hear of the locals talk about how their kimber has been 100% reliable and never malfunctions. I just can't believe that's the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I talked to a well known Smith back when I owned my Kimber. Since a lot of their parts are made to a "mid-spec" to minimize fitting, you'll have some that work, some that work sometimes, and some that don't work at all. Mine ended up having its stock parts replaced with Nighthawk and 10-8 parts, so it worked fine when I got rid of it.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I usually get a FTF in my old Gold Match when I get to about 250-300 rounds of dirty waxy Bullseye lead semi-wadcutters. It loves Chip McCormic mags. Never had any other issue with it. I expect regular ball ammo would get more mileage between needing a wipe down.

Feedback Score
    After a bout of trouble with an ria I had and attending a lav 1911 operators class and seeing a pile of 1911s go down I came to a few concussions. You get what you pay for. Only <$1000 1911 I'd probably trust is a Springfield and that's only after shooting it a bunch. You have to maintain them, they are an enthusiasts gun. They need maintained.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    After a bout of trouble with an ria I had and attending a lav 1911 operators class and seeing a pile of 1911s go down I came to a few concussions. You get what you pay for. Only <$1000 1911 I'd probably trust is a Springfield and that's only after shooting it a bunch. You have to maintain them, they are an enthusiasts gun. They need maintained.

Yeah, I think when you hear the 1911 words of wisdom stories, a lot of them leave out the $800 vs $4000-$6000 aspect which is as distorting to the data set truth as "my 1911 has never fails".

Feedback Score
    I've owned 3 kimbers. And traded/sold 3 kimbers. I have only one 1911 now, a Nighthawk Custom. Crazy expensive, but flawless and approaching 7K rounds through it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Yeah, I think when you hear the 1911 words of wisdom stories, a lot of them leave out the $800 vs $4000-$6000 aspect which is as distorting to the data set truth as "my 1911 has never fails".
    I have a sa trp operator and a Wilson cqb elite. 3041 through the trp and 998 in the Wilson. I ran the trp in the vickers class, it was the only 1911 that didn't malfunction in that class. But their is a massive difference between the $800 and $3500 1911s. I don't think you need to buy a $3500 1911 to get one to run right, not by any means. But I sure as hell am not carrying an armscor, taraus or kimber either. Sa and colt makes the best production guns until you get to Dan Wesson I think.

Feedback Score
    I was not impressed with the reliability of my stainless TLEII and ditched it.

Also not a fan of the Swartz safety and would never buy another 1911 that has such a silly feature.

Colts and Springfields for me from now on.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aggie9045 View Post
    I have a TLE/RL II, which I love, and a Kimber 22 conversion kit. The kit HATES Remington ammo but loves Federal, CCI, Winchester and Speer. I just have to make sure the magazines are clean, but taking them apart and wiping them down works like a charm. The Federal and CCI run the cleanest but the Winchester and the Speer aren't bad. Love the kit and the only problem I've ever had was when the extractor was filthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ditto this.

I have the TLE/RL II and the .22 conversion kit.
    I carried it as my duty gun for years. Never failed me and ran any quality ammo I fed into it.

I'm Retired now and for the most part only gets carried occasionally since it's heavy as all hell and I've trended towards my G19 almost exclusively because carrying concealed is all I do these days.

I bought the conversion kit mainly for plinking, small critter control (squirrel, porcupine, opossum etc) and for coup' de gras work if needed when hunting. CCI being hard/ expensive to get, I have opted for standard issue Federal since it seems to run best. I get an occasional failure with the standard issue stuff, but when I do run CCI minimags in it it runs flawlessly.
    As for the occasional fails with the Federal standard ammo; it's not big deal because, A- it's not a defensive/ personal safety thing and B- it just reinforces failure drills.

All this said I cannot speak about any other Kimber 1911 of any configuration since I have not experience..... But mine? Yeah, I'll keep it and rely on it anytime. I actually miss carrying it frankly. It's just not really a CCW type gun.
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast