Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with case head separation

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I thought I read somewhere you could insert a .40 cal bronze bore brush into the case and pull it out.
    I was going to post this, the key is to get enough bristles past the case mouth.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    I was going to post this, the key is to get enough bristles past the case mouth.
    I was thinking a stainless steel brush might up the grab factor considerably over a bronze brush.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    26 Inf. made a good recommendation for penetrating oil. Kroil is the go to oil for the vintage rifle shooters in my area. It does a bang up job of cleaning filthy bores and hard to reach places on old rifles.

Don't get too aggressive with metal objects inserted into the chamber end of the barrel. Once the brass is removed, I would closely inspect the chamber and leade for damage.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Penetrating oil did not help. I give up, maybe a gunsmith can do it.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGREID View Post
    Penetrating oil did not help. I give up, maybe a gunsmith can do it.
    Take it to a smith who works on ARs. If not, carefully follow the steps outlined in post #12 and you should get it out. When you break the seal between the case and the chamber and the penetrating oil get in, (given time to soak) you should be able to extract the case.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Take it to a smith who works on ARs. If not, carefully follow the steps outlined in post #12 and you should get it out. When you break the seal between the case and the chamber and the penetrating oil get in, (given time to soak) you should be able to extract the case.
    A straight pick (think ice pick) may be easier to come by than a small screwdriver. All you are trying to do is get between the case rim and chamber wall thus relieving the tension between the two. It's harder to describe than do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    A straight pick (think ice pick) may be easier to come by than a small screwdriver. All you are trying to do is get between the case rim and chamber wall thus relieving the tension between the two. It's harder to describe than do.
    There is just no room to get anything between the case and chamber wall.
    Earth has always been a dangerous place to live, be prepared!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Before getting mechanical I'd pick up 2-3 sizes larger than bore cleaning brushes. Stainless or at least bronze. Then start small, and firmly push them in until it stops. IE: jammed into the bore past the end of the chamber.

You want the bristles pushed back at 45-6 degrees. And then pull it back. It may take more than one attempt. If that doesn't work try the next larger size.

sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGREID View Post
    There is just no room to get anything between the case and chamber wall.
    You have to make room! It's not rocket science.

Feedback Score
    Iraqvetern8888 show's how to remove these using cerrosafe from Brownells. Plug the barrel, heat it up, cast the chamber, let cool, and drive out the casting/brass from the muzzle end.

https://youtu.be/PDKBrKtN1OA

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...y-prod384.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast