Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any input on stance or anything else?

Feedback Score

Any input on stance or anything else?

Video updates post 40

My wife grabbed these videos without me knowing after she got done shooting her 22 pistol. Can you guys give me any advice on anything you see? All of them I was just expelling ammo. Wasn't trying to run it fast. Gun is a sa trp operator shooting 4.8grs wst 230gr fmj
    https://youtu.be/VAEqNWqMBks
    https://youtu.be/LdudgrIMOUc
    https://youtu.be/xRDzmAxXo7E
    https://youtu.be/YitSxdOh-rQ

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 04-18-17 at 18:55. Reason: Update post 40

Feedback Score
    Props to you for asking for input.

My observations are from video 4 where you have your whole body in view.

Good grip ... your support thumb is pointed at the target and we can instinctively shoot at / very near to where we point

Arms ... try straightening the a bit more and see if that helps you feel more solid during recoil. I like a little bend, some lock their arms, right now you may have a bit too much bend

Stance ... try squaring up toward the target instead of that wide bladed stance. If you're married to bladed, work on pointing your gun side foot toward the target. We can index our whole body / use our whole body as an aiming assist.

Head & shoulders ... see how you're hunching your shoulders up and lowering your head to meet the gun? Try raising your head and raising your arms so that the gun meets your eyes, with your head/eyes fully level to the target.

Nice place to shoot ... your backyard?
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-28-17 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    I'll work on the arms, I noticed watching those videos I'm more bladed than I thought. I'm not married to any stance, I just want to improve. Have been trying hard not to do the hunchback of notre Dam thing, apparently I need to try harder.

Should I just go back to slow steady consistent draws and presentation?

Ya it's our backyard you could say. It's part of 18000 acre Ranch I work on. Pretty lucky to have that much space to go and send rounds down range

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

Ya it's our backyard you could say. It's part of 18000 acre Ranch I work on. Pretty lucky to have that much space to go and send rounds down range

Nice! And nice of the owners to let you shoot there.

I would just work dry fire in front of a mirror, slow and steady til you're seeing what you like and then add some speed in gradually. Face the mirror and also stand to it sideways.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd do everything PWR noted.

Two additional things -

Notice your upper torso comes back on recoil, I'd try to get a little more weight transfer forward. An old mantra I remind myself of from time to time is 'Head erect, eyes on target, feet, knees shoulders and hips square into the threat, slight bend at the knees and waist, feet shoulder width apart, strong foot slightly to the rear.' Ron Avery does the best job ever talking about stance in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wctcyewEZk

Additionally, notice how your head slowly settles back down after each shot dropping back to the sights? Focus on follow-through, staying on the sights throughout the shot, following them back onto target.

Feedback Score
    I went and tried what was suggested. I dry fired a lot and then ran some through a ruger 22/45. Getting my legs right wasn't to much of a problem, but keeping from being hunched up and not flinching my head took some effort. Most of it was with a holstered weapon, focusing on smooth draw and being in the correct position with each trigger pull. I noticed at the end the flinch was wanting to come back. Should I be focusing on the front sight through the recoil?

Here are target pictures through the session
    32 rounds

48 rounds

91 rounds

The smaller holes up top were from an ocw test with the ar.

I wasn't trying to shoot against the timer necessarily, was going for smoothness, correctness and keeping rounds on target while not shooting at a bullseye pace. All shooting was from 8-15 yds. This is the cleanest target I've had I think. Thanks to the suggestions from above. I think this is going to be a long road though.

Eta their are some 22lr warm up in the red in the first picture it appears

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I went and tried what was suggested. I dry fired a lot and then ran some through a ruger 22/45. Getting my legs right wasn't to much of a problem, but keeping from being hunched up and not flinching my head took some effort. Most of it was with a holstered weapon, focusing on smooth draw and being in the correct position with each trigger pull. I noticed at the end the flinch was wanting to come back. Should I be focusing on the front sight through the recoil?

Here are target pictures through the session
    32 rounds

The smaller holes up top were from an ocw test with the ar.

I wasn't trying to shoot against the timer necessarily, was going for smoothness, correctness and keeping rounds on target while not shooting at a bullseye pace. All shooting was from 8-15 yds. This is the cleanest target I've had I think. Thanks to the suggestions from above. I think this is going to be a long road though.

Eta their are some 22lr warm up in the red in the first picture it appears
    Nice shooting ... clearly you're a fast learner!

My gut reaction to that group is that you can start giving up on the front site, if wanting to practice for SD shooting. Try just focusing on threat, not your sights. That's what happens anyways in a real SD shooting ... people interviewed after surviving a shooting don't remember ever seeing their gun, just the bad guy.

You can "afford" larger group for SD ... focus on the target, not the sights and think of the knuckle of your trigger finger and your support thumb as pointers. Point them at the target and fire. Rachet up the speed until you're about paper plate accurate at 7 yards.

You'll be a dangerous man with that skill under your belt.

Then, have two targets side by side and pop each twice and move back & forth between the two, quickly, without sights. That's my basic SD shooting drill.

Congrats again on some nice shootin'!
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-29-17 at 07:58.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My 100% free amateur professional opinion:

You are getting good comments here, and you are on the right track.

As 26 Inf pointed out your are being pushed back on the recoil of each shot. This is probably from your overall body position. You have your feet in a position that is un-natural for either standing, moving, or preparing to move. Your weight should be biased forward, balls of feet, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. That Ron Avery video looks like it explains that well. John McPhee (SOB/Shrek) has a similar type of video on the topic. He explains stationary stance as an extension of your normal stride, as ultimately you want to be able to move and shoot at the same time anyway. I am confidant, that if you fix your body position (feet, knees, hips), the need to reposition your upper body after each shot will go away.

Although a lot of great shooters shoot arms straight, the bend at the elbows that you have may be just fine. Take a look at Frank Proctor as an excellent shooter who keeps his neck and head erect for better/best head position for visual processing, and the elbows significantly bent. He is simply bringing the sights to his normal vision plane, instead of drawing, raising pistol and then 'fishing' down with the eyes in an attempt to meet the sights.

On 'getting better' in general:
    - focus on just a few things at a time, maybe even only one if you have to. Nothing wrong with dry firing to work on just your grip, or trigger press by themselves
    - before you go out to live fire: have a list of the few things you are going to work on, and preferably have some dry pre-practice in before the live fire. You can't work it all out while live firing, you will run out of time, ammo, and money before you get to where you want.

Before working on speed, GET A SHOT TIMER so you have a way to measure and analyze your performance. Not sure if you were just randomly speeding up and slowing down, or doing a failure drill, but looking at your splits will help you speed up overall, once you are ready.

Feedback Score

Any input on stance or anything else?

Are you water skiiing or shooting? And what's with the wide stance..?

Also, stop with the turtling.
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I find the best upper body position is upper arms straight (elbows same width as shoulders), with shoulders rolled forward (not scrunched up), kicking the elbows out. The leads to a lot of arm movement with little body or vertical gun movement.

Put a lot of weight on the front foot. Bend more at knees.
    Act like your boxing/fighting, and shoot like that.

Or start mag dumping to find how different stances react and use the one that gives you the best control. Don't worry about a target.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast