Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any input on stance or anything else?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Any input on stance or anything else?

Video updates post 40

My wife grabbed these videos without me knowing after she got done shooting her 22 pistol. Can you guys give me any advice on anything you see? All of them I was just expelling ammo. Wasn't trying to run it fast. Gun is a sa trp operator shooting 4.8grs wst 230gr fmj
    https://youtu.be/VAEqNWqMBks
    https://youtu.be/LdudgrIMOUc
    https://youtu.be/xRDzmAxXo7E
    https://youtu.be/YitSxdOh-rQ

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 04-18-17 at 18:55. Reason: Update post 40

Feedback Score
    Props to you for asking for input.

My observations are from video 4 where you have your whole body in view.

Good grip ... your support thumb is pointed at the target and we can instinctively shoot at / very near to where we point

Arms ... try straightening the a bit more and see if that helps you feel more solid during recoil. I like a little bend, some lock their arms, right now you may have a bit too much bend

Stance ... try squaring up toward the target instead of that wide bladed stance. If you're married to bladed, work on pointing your gun side foot toward the target. We can index our whole body / use our whole body as an aiming assist.

Head & shoulders ... see how you're hunching your shoulders up and lowering your head to meet the gun? Try raising your head and raising your arms so that the gun meets your eyes, with your head/eyes fully level to the target.

Nice place to shoot ... your backyard?
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-28-17 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    I'll work on the arms, I noticed watching those videos I'm more bladed than I thought. I'm not married to any stance, I just want to improve. Have been trying hard not to do the hunchback of notre Dam thing, apparently I need to try harder.

Should I just go back to slow steady consistent draws and presentation?

Ya it's our backyard you could say. It's part of 18000 acre Ranch I work on. Pretty lucky to have that much space to go and send rounds down range

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

Ya it's our backyard you could say. It's part of 18000 acre Ranch I work on. Pretty lucky to have that much space to go and send rounds down range

Nice! And nice of the owners to let you shoot there.

I would just work dry fire in front of a mirror, slow and steady til you're seeing what you like and then add some speed in gradually. Face the mirror and also stand to it sideways.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd do everything PWR noted.

Two additional things -

Notice your upper torso comes back on recoil, I'd try to get a little more weight transfer forward. An old mantra I remind myself of from time to time is 'Head erect, eyes on target, feet, knees shoulders and hips square into the threat, slight bend at the knees and waist, feet shoulder width apart, strong foot slightly to the rear.' Ron Avery does the best job ever talking about stance in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wctcyewEZk

Additionally, notice how your head slowly settles back down after each shot dropping back to the sights? Focus on follow-through, staying on the sights throughout the shot, following them back onto target.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    My 100% free amateur professional opinion:

You are getting good comments here, and you are on the right track.

As 26 Inf pointed out your are being pushed back on the recoil of each shot. This is probably from your overall body position. You have your feet in a position that is un-natural for either standing, moving, or preparing to move. Your weight should be biased forward, balls of feet, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. That Ron Avery video looks like it explains that well. John McPhee (SOB/Shrek) has a similar type of video on the topic. He explains stationary stance as an extension of your normal stride, as ultimately you want to be able to move and shoot at the same time anyway. I am confidant, that if you fix your body position (feet, knees, hips), the need to reposition your upper body after each shot will go away.

Although a lot of great shooters shoot arms straight, the bend at the elbows that you have may be just fine. Take a look at Frank Proctor as an excellent shooter who keeps his neck and head erect for better/best head position for visual processing, and the elbows significantly bent. He is simply bringing the sights to his normal vision plane, instead of drawing, raising pistol and then 'fishing' down with the eyes in an attempt to meet the sights.

On 'getting better' in general:
    - focus on just a few things at a time, maybe even only one if you have to. Nothing wrong with dry firing to work on just your grip, or trigger press by themselves
    - before you go out to live fire: have a list of the few things you are going to work on, and preferably have some dry pre-practice in before the live fire. You can't work it all out while live firing, you will run out of time, ammo, and money before you get to where you want.

Before working on speed, GET A SHOT TIMER so you have a way to measure and analyze your performance. Not sure if you were just randomly speeding up and slowing down, or doing a failure drill, but looking at your splits will help you speed up overall, once you are ready.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    My 100% free amateur professional opinion:

You are getting good comments here, and you are on the right track.

As 26 Inf pointed out your are being pushed back on the recoil of each shot. This is probably from your overall body position. You have your feet in a position that is un-natural for either standing, moving, or preparing to move. Your weight should be biased forward, balls of feet, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. That Ron Avery video looks like it explains that well. John McPhee (SOB/Shrek) has a similar type of video on the topic. He explains stationary stance as an extension of your normal stride, as ultimately you want to be able to move and shoot at the same time anyway. I am confidant, that if you fix your body position (feet, knees, hips), the need to reposition your upper body after each shot will go away.

Although a lot of great shooters shoot arms straight, the bend at the elbows that you have may be just fine. Take a look at Frank Proctor as an excellent shooter who keeps his neck and head erect for better/best head position for visual processing, and the elbows significantly bent. He is simply bringing the sights to his normal vision plane, instead of drawing, raising pistol and then 'fishing' down with the eyes in an attempt to meet the sights.

On 'getting better' in general:
    - focus on just a few things at a time, maybe even only one if you have to. Nothing wrong with dry firing to work on just your grip, or trigger press by themselves
    - before you go out to live fire: have a list of the few things you are going to work on, and preferably have some dry pre-practice in before the live fire. You can't work it all out while live firing, you will run out of time, ammo, and money before you get to where you want.

Before working on speed, GET A SHOT TIMER so you have a way to measure and analyze your performance. Not sure if you were just randomly speeding up and slowing down, or doing a failure drill, but looking at your splits will help you speed up overall, once you are ready.
    I was just plinking in those videos and not quite sure what was going on, the more I watch them the more I'm seeing a monkey trying to hump a football. I do have a shot timer, and out of a serpa I am around 1.20 to the first shot and am in the .16-.22 range on the splits on one target, when I'm warmed up. This is shooting a near max load of wst and 230 gr ammo.

Should stance be thrown all in together? As in correct foot placement and not humping up my shoulders? That's all I was going for today was to try to un**** what I was doing in the video. Drawing, staying square, strong foot back very slightly, good grip, not sinking head into shoulders and leaning into the pistol more. I was trying to rebuild a foundation.

I had practiced it dry, before the live fire. The trigger press I'm fairly confident in, I dry fire a lot at night working on maintaining a steady sight picture and that it's not interrupted through the trigger pull. I press the trigger in one motion, not to where the slack is taken out, then the sear disengages. I try to make it one full motion and never disturb my sight picture.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is why I love M4C. ubet, you are getting some gems in here, and I don't mean that in the sarcastic sense. Fundamentals are termed that for a reason. Don't learn fundamentals to forget them, and use something else. Build on them like a foundation.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    This is why I love M4C. ubet, you are getting some gems in here, and I don't mean that in the sarcastic sense. Fundamentals are termed that for a reason. Don't learn fundamentals to forget them, and use something else. Build on them like a foundation.
    I know I am, and am thankful for it. The download of all the info takes a little work, lol.

I'm trying to get good basics down, but keep feeling as I'm missing something.

The dry fire for trigger control has helped I can tell. I'm keeping a lot more in the a zone than I was a few months ago. I need to make a conscious effort to practice drawing smoothly and body position, or at least I think I need too....

Watching this clips last night I can tell the hesitation from presentation is a lot of time, and the time in between shots is drastic too. It's a good drill though and one I know I need to keep working on.

Am I still milking the gun, can anyone tell?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    If I could make a recommendation, I would vote to relax. Build solid body mechanics, and don't get so worried about speed before/after something. Don't try too hard to be fast out of the holster...just build a solid, consistent foundation and you'll default on that.

If you aren't already, incorporate follow through into your dry firing and range time. Realign the sights on target after each shot, then reset the trigger. You may have missed, you may need to keep putting rounds into the threat, but insuring that your pistol stays in the fight as long as necessary is good to hardwire in. Even when dry firing, I'll rack the slide, realign sights, then reset the trigger.

Not the best demonstration of what I'm talking about when I mean relax, but here's a vid from some range time a few years ago. The talking point, if one exists, is I feel that both sight tracking and trigger control were fluid given the cadence at each distance. Focus on your front sight, control the trigger, realign your sights, reset the trigger, and repeat. Trigger control is ultimately the crux of accuracy, and the overwhelming majority of shooter errors can simply be summed up with "poor trigger control".

I'm not an instructor (nor do I intend to be one), but hopefully that made sense.

Last edited by GTF425; 04-19-17 at 18:47.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast