Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any input on stance or anything else?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Nice shooting ... clearly you're a fast learner!

My gut reaction to that group is that you can start giving up on the front site, if wanting to practice for SD shooting. Try just focusing on threat, not your sights. That's what happens anyways in a real SD shooting ... people interviewed after surviving a shooting don't remember ever seeing their gun, just the bad guy.

You can "afford" larger group for SD ... focus on your sights, think of the knuckle of your trigger finger and your support thumb as pointers. Point them at the target and fire. Rachet up the speed until you're about paper plate accurate at 7 yards.

You'll be a dangerous man with that skill under your belt.

Then, have two targets side by side and pop each twice and move back & forth between the two, quickly, without sights. That's my basic SD shooting drill.

Congrats again on some nice shootin'!
    Thanks for the insight. I had used the thumbs to help get in target, but not the knuckle. I put my finger into the trigger guard about 2/3 of the way into extension. I do dry fire quite a bit at night and in the morning. My problem is that danged head jerk though. I was trying to focus on the front sight to make sure I wasn't flinching and trying to follow through the shot, is their something better to do to accomplish the same thing?

I think I developed that head jerking thing while running against the timer. But did notice I wasn't using sights just feel. To speed up and keep from head jerking, any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 03-28-17 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    My 100% free amateur professional opinion:

You are getting good comments here, and you are on the right track.

As 26 Inf pointed out your are being pushed back on the recoil of each shot. This is probably from your overall body position. You have your feet in a position that is un-natural for either standing, moving, or preparing to move. Your weight should be biased forward, balls of feet, knees, hips, shoulders, etc. That Ron Avery video looks like it explains that well. John McPhee (SOB/Shrek) has a similar type of video on the topic. He explains stationary stance as an extension of your normal stride, as ultimately you want to be able to move and shoot at the same time anyway. I am confidant, that if you fix your body position (feet, knees, hips), the need to reposition your upper body after each shot will go away.

Although a lot of great shooters shoot arms straight, the bend at the elbows that you have may be just fine. Take a look at Frank Proctor as an excellent shooter who keeps his neck and head erect for better/best head position for visual processing, and the elbows significantly bent. He is simply bringing the sights to his normal vision plane, instead of drawing, raising pistol and then 'fishing' down with the eyes in an attempt to meet the sights.

On 'getting better' in general:
    - focus on just a few things at a time, maybe even only one if you have to. Nothing wrong with dry firing to work on just your grip, or trigger press by themselves
    - before you go out to live fire: have a list of the few things you are going to work on, and preferably have some dry pre-practice in before the live fire. You can't work it all out while live firing, you will run out of time, ammo, and money before you get to where you want.

Before working on speed, GET A SHOT TIMER so you have a way to measure and analyze your performance. Not sure if you were just randomly speeding up and slowing down, or doing a failure drill, but looking at your splits will help you speed up overall, once you are ready.
    I was just plinking in those videos and not quite sure what was going on, the more I watch them the more I'm seeing a monkey trying to hump a football. I do have a shot timer, and out of a serpa I am around 1.20 to the first shot and am in the .16-.22 range on the splits on one target, when I'm warmed up. This is shooting a near max load of wst and 230 gr ammo.

Should stance be thrown all in together? As in correct foot placement and not humping up my shoulders? That's all I was going for today was to try to un**** what I was doing in the video. Drawing, staying square, strong foot back very slightly, good grip, not sinking head into shoulders and leaning into the pistol more. I was trying to rebuild a foundation.

I had practiced it dry, before the live fire. The trigger press I'm fairly confident in, I dry fire a lot at night working on maintaining a steady sight picture and that it's not interrupted through the trigger pull. I press the trigger in one motion, not to where the slack is taken out, then the sear disengages. I try to make it one full motion and never disturb my sight picture.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I find the best upper body position is upper arms straight (elbows same width as shoulders), with shoulders rolled forward (not scrunched up), kicking the elbows out. The leads to a lot of arm movement with little body or vertical gun movement.

Put a lot of weight on the front foot. Bend more at knees.
    Act like your boxing/fighting, and shoot like that.

Or start mag dumping to find how different stances react and use the one that gives you the best control. Don't worry about a target.
    The boxer thing makes very good sense thank you.

Thanks to everyone's help. I'll see if I can't record next time I shoot and put it up. See if it's any better.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I was just plinking in those videos and not quite sure what was going on, the more I watch them the more I'm seeing a monkey trying to hump a football. I do have a shot timer, and out of a serpa I am around 1.20 to the first shot and am in the .16-.22 range on the splits on one target, when I'm warmed up. This is shooting a near max load of wst and 230 gr ammo.

Should stance be thrown all in together? As in correct foot placement and not humping up my shoulders? That's all I was going for today was to try to un**** what I was doing in the video. Drawing, staying square, strong foot back very slightly, good grip, not sinking head into shoulders and leaning into the pistol more. I was trying to rebuild a foundation.

I had practiced it dry, before the live fire. The trigger press I'm fairly confident in, I dry fire a lot at night working on maintaining a steady sight picture and that it's not interrupted through the trigger pull. I press the trigger in one motion, not to where the slack is taken out, then the sear disengages. I try to make it one full motion and never disturb my sight picture.

It's all good man. Not trying to be harsh on you, so don't feel bad. I probably look like a soup sandwich most of the time. It's good that your wife took those videos, have her do that as often as possible. Ideally we'd all have our own personal photographer for learning purposes. Watching your own video is a fantastic way to break down what you are doing right/wrong. Very common in pro athletics, so that should tell you something. Be careful with that Serpa.

Yes, I'd say stance should be thrown all together. Personally I think in terms of 1. Trigger, 2. Visual (eyes/sights), 3. Grip (hands on the gun), 4. Stance/everything else (feet, legs, hips, torso, head, shoulders, etc.). If you wanted to simplify it further, you could throw grip in with stance. Keep in mind there is an interplay between grip and how far you push your arms/hands forward, and haw much you splay your elbows out.

Trigger press: what you are doing is fine as long as you are not moving/influencing the gun as you are pulling the trigger. The difficulty most shooters have is going to be doing that at speed, in rapid fire, as in pulling the trigger over and over without moving the gun. there is a great video with Rob Leatham out there, to the effect of 'don't worry about the sights, worry about learning to pull the trigger (fast) w/o moving the gun.'

Feedback Score
    Elephant, no worries. Didn't think you were being harsh at all, I'm a little thicker skinned than that. The only way to learn is to know wtf I'm doing wrong. I've only taken one class and that was with vickers last year, everything else I'm self taught and as we all know that's a tough way to learn. So thanks for any input

Feedback Score
    I went and ran a few against the timer today. I was from .22-.32 on my splits and averaging 1.3 on the draw. But I noticed that I wasn't shrugging my shoulders and feet were staying more square. It was a lot easier to keep rounds on target. Thank you guys for the advice. I'm going to try to video the time I go shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    My gut reaction to that group is that you can start giving up on the front site, if wanting to practice for SD shooting. Try just focusing on threat, not your sights. That's what happens anyways in a real SD shooting ... people interviewed after surviving a shooting don't remember ever seeing their gun, just the bad guy.

You can "afford" larger group for SD ... focus on the target, not the sights and think of the knuckle of your trigger finger and your support thumb as pointers. Point them at the target and fire. Rachet up the speed until you're about paper plate accurate at 7 yards.
    To the OP, do not take this advice.

Repetitions with sighted fire carries over to situations where you might not have time to get a perfect sight picture - not the other way around.
    Always keep a high accuracy standard when training.

Just because people don't remember using their sights does not mean they didn't.

Sights are there for a reason.

As far as feedback on your shooting, notice on the last video (full body shot) - you are milking your grip with each shot. This means that your support hand grip is not strong enough.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    To the OP, do not take this advice.

Repetitions with sighted fire carries over to situations where you might not have time to get a perfect sight picture - not the other way around.
    Always keep a high accuracy standard when training.

Just because people don't remember using their sights does not mean they didn't.

Sights are there for a reason.

As far as feedback on your shooting, notice on the last video (full body shot) - you are milking your grip with each shot. This means that your support hand grip is not strong enough.
    Thanks for the input. How can you tell that the weak hand is not strong enough grip? I noticed on one of the videos that a few times the pistol recoiled and twisted to the right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Thanks for the input. How can you tell that the weak hand is not strong enough grip? I noticed on one of the videos that a few times the pistol recoiled and twisted to the right.

Look at the last video of the ones you posted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YitS...ature=youtu.be). You re-acquire your left hand grip on the two first shots. That is called milking the grip.
    It usually happens when your support hand position shifts during recoil, and is a result of not gripping hard enough.

Try shooting a bill drill to see how your hits are. Here is a vid of me shooting one the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg-cCd4ujkw

On the signal of the timer, draw and shoot 6 rounds as fast as you can, while still hitting the A zone of an IPSC target.
    It will help you analyze your draw, grip, recoil control, sight picture and trigger control.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If you think about it you're probably getting free advice from people who have BTDT and instructor/trainers. Smart and humble, and I'm learning by reading so I thank you for posting your videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast