Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Any input on stance or anything else?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If you're aiming or using sites you've already lost.
    You could sell a lot of those tee-shirts, primarily to practitioners of OC.

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    When I hear references to point shooting and firing from retention, it's generally in the context of extreme close quarters shooting. I've seen some instructors (and not local yokels...I'm talking the kind of guys people pay $250/day to go to Weekend Gun Camp for) go so far as teaching students to bring the assailant in to them if they're in grappling range, then draw and fire from retention. Nothing about dealing with the fact it's a threat first and foremost...just hug em up and shoot them.

Having gotten my ass beaten in force on force training with nothing more than a SIRT, a mouth guard, and a group of motivated friends, I've learned that defaulting to a gun when there are other options available is a sure fire way to either get it stripped from you or you'll just drop it when they crack your jaw with a hook because you gave up your guard to draw.

Have a solid striking and grappling foundation built so you can make distance (distance=time) or gain a dominant body position that isolates an assailant from being able to get hands on your gun while you draw. Then you can point and click all day long...you physically can't miss when your muzzle is pressed against the threat.

Way, way too many dudes are so wrapped around the axle about draw times and the physical act of shooting, that we often lost sight of the big picture. The big picture in this case being that a gun is just A tool, it is not THE tool. Your mind is the weapon, and as I said before...if you're in such danger that you don't have time to aim, you damn sure don't have the time to miss.

On the topic of big picture...what about what's behind or in front of the threat? What about partially obscured shots? If you aren't factoring in your surroundings when making the decision to shoot someone, it may be a good time to start thinking about training environmental factors before you dump a few rounds through the wall of a gas station and shoot someone inside.

Which ultimately goes back to knowing how to strike, grapple, and maneuver as necessary to gain a position where you can draw and effectively use your weapon.
    Last edited by GTF425; 04-16-17 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Howdy,

1) Sights are overrated. The shockwave off'un mah three fiftee seyeven is more than enough to make 'em think twice about messin' with this here cowpoke.

/endtroll

2) Everyone should read GTF425s post, and then read it again. While GTF425 and I have different weighted values on the dark arts of striking vs wrasslin as an approach to rib cracking and neck snapping, where we are 100% in agreement is that 99% of fire-armed people forget about the word, "fight" in the term gunfight.

A firearm is, ultimately, a precision tool. Doesn't matter whether It's a pistol or a magnified-optic-equipped bolt action. If the bullets aren't going to the address on the label, there's no point in dropping that check in the mail.

HTH

Mike

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    To the OP, do not take this advice.

Repetitions with sighted fire carries over to situations where you might not have time to get a perfect sight picture - not the other way around.
    Always keep a high accuracy standard when training.

Just because people don't remember using their sights does not mean they didn't.

Sights are there for a reason.
    ^^THIS^^ I came in to post essentially what Artic1 wrote. Exactly correct. "I don't remember using my sights" has been twisted into 'sights weren't used.' There is such a thing as 'subconscious mastery.'

ETA: I didn't see all the replies, when I posted, so I didn't see the dogpile, but it is all accurate.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 04-16-17 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

2) where we are 100% in agreement is that 99% of fire-armed people forget about the word, "fight" in the term gunfight.
    I think that mentality is treating the gun, concealed or otherwise, as a talisman that will ward off evil doers. It ignores that fact that when someone decides to do something to you, it will likely be on their terms and timeline, you don't get to pick when, or how the 'fight of your life' commences.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    I think that mentality is treating the gun, concealed or otherwise, as a talisman that will ward off evil doers. It ignores that fact that when someone decides to do something to you, it will likely be on their terms and timeline, you don't get to pick when, or how the 'fight of your life' commences.
    I hear you. The Talisman of False Security. I have heard in conversations here and there about how a guy was going to respond "If a guy tries this on me, I'm gonna..." I think it makes for a dangerous situation for a person to be under the deception that because they carry then they are automatically mentally, physically ready to get in a fight. I wasn't always a good person like I am today, and I have been in my share of fights. Street fights. I hate to say this but I think most of the guys I talk to today, think they are ready, but in reality probably aren't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Which of his classes did you take? What was the duration?

Thanks

His 1911 operators course. It's a two day class

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I believe SeriousStudent posted this video recently in another thread... I just happen to remember this segment...

Check out 08:30 to 11:30 https://youtu.be/mKR0-4DhsL4?t=510
    Last edited by tb-av; 04-17-17 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    If you think about it you're probably getting free advice from people who have BTDT and instructor/trainers. Smart and humble, and I'm learning by reading so I thank you for posting your videos.

I'm very humbled and appreciative that so many have responded.

Feedback Score
    So I went and shot 124 rounds today. The first Bill drill was cold and a picture of the results is the first picture.
    https://youtu.be/cY-4PAL_Z6Y
    Second Bill drill 3.50 seconds, all a zone hits rounds 40-46
    https://youtu.be/r1lTetqzxW4

Third Bill drill 3.18, all a zone rounds 90-96

https://youtu.be/ZhSHRS9Mgu4
    Fourth Bill drill 3.43, all a zone rounds 111-117 I averaged .38 on the splits. I could tell I wss tracking my sights a lot better.
    https://youtu.be/ZvJke0tsjYA

Second picture is of everything up to 117, the tape was from the first Bill drill. All other rounds were from 3yds-20yds

Third picture was the final 7 rounds off hand, medium fire at 20yds.

Note this pistol doesn't like this handload.

So what can you advise me on with this? Any help good or bad is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Last edited by ubet; 04-18-17 at 18:59.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast