Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retro Build II

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA556 View Post
    Outstanding build. Looks very authentic and convincing indeed.

Where did you get the hand guards that seem to fit so well? I've ordered a pair here and there but they don't fit so well. They are either mismatched. coming from different weapons and/or the used LH sides from any date / weapon are just too screwed up to ever fit right.

I'm trying not to buy too many NOS items as I think those should be saved for the originals as opposed to retro(s). For that reason I'm currently working on modifying a set of airsoft hand guards which actually fit quite well, just needing some modification with the heat shields. The plastic appears to be the same thickness as the originals or at least close enough. Once I finish them I'm anxious to see how they perform and stand up at the range.

Both stocks look fine. You did a good job. By all means have fun and shoot the hell out of it. I'd be proud to own it.

Thanks, I really like this thing so far in terms of general handling and the brief function test I did with it the other day. As far as the handguards go, I basically just ordered a right handguard and a left handguard from Numrich. If you look at the holes, they actually don't quite line up and are obviously from two different weapons, and both have seen some wear and tear, but they work. At some point I may get a set of them that are in better condition but for now these seem to be getting the job done.

Since we were discussing the mag, here's a collage of pics of it if anyone is interested.

And one more of the rifle with the mag, plus an M7 bayonet.

Feedback Score
    Looks great. I've never considered any of the mags. Was planning on just using whatever I have around. Might be different with the XM177 I'm doing (if the stamp ever gets here).

I got to get photos of mine up here.

If I get the airsoft hand guards working I'll post those up here too.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just happened to have that old mag laying around even before I got in to retros, someone gave it to me several years ago. Just seemed appropriate to use it in the pics. I've used it when shooting a couple of times before I realized it was kind of a curio and it worked​ fine.

Feedback Score
    Circle 10, nice looking build you have there. On the markings question. The military did use the plastic tape like was on the stock when you got it. I was issued several A2s over the years with that type of marking. I've also seen that type on many M14 stocks also. As an aside. If you wish to use a painted rack number they were almost universally stenciled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12