Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of scope for 14.5" carbine?

Feedback Score
    I use the 1-6x24 Vortex Strike Eagle on my AR. I have no problem getting 1-2" groups with 55g Federal ammo at 100yds, and 2-4" (if I really concentrate)at 200yds. I'm by far not a great marksman. Its a great scope for the price. You should check out the Youtube reviews. Good luck!
    Last edited by Switchblade666; 03-29-17 at 13:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade666 View Post
    I use the 1-6x24 Vortex Strike Eagle on my AR. I have no problem getting 1-2" groups with 55g Federal ammo at 100yds, and 2-4" (if I really concentrate)at 200yds. I'm by far not a great marksman. Its a great scope for the price. You should check out the Youtube reviews. Good luck!
    +1 on this type of set up.

Don't know if this particular one is illuminated, but if so, you're getting the ease & speed of a 1X red dot with magnification capes for longer work.

These things are making the separate magnifiers obsolete

Vortex .. yeah, made in China stuff, but we don't get any returns / issues at retail. They have their lifetime VIP warranty and have heard they're awesome on customer service if there is an issue.
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 03-29-17 at 15:16.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    This is the illuminated one. I thought long and hard about whether to go with a Red dot and a magnifier but after using the Vortex, there is no need. Close targeting is fast with the 1X. My new build will be a dedicated red dot no magnification for home defense.
    Last edited by Switchblade666; 03-29-17 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You have a pretty much optimal carbine setup shooting very decent carbine groups.

Personally, I'd not load it up with anything much heavier than your current optic.
    IMO, sage advice. If your eyes are still good (no astigmatism) and can shoot 1 - 2 MOA groups with the RDS, I would save the magnified optics for a SPR type build.

Though very subjective, the handling characteristics of an AR change when you add a magnified optic (usually 24+ ounces including a mount) on top of the receiver. In my hands, a KISS carbine with iron sights (or a lightweight H2 size RDS) feels "lively" and better balanced, and it just seems to point faster. For a lightweight 14.5" carbine those characteristics are IMO worth preserving.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I'll second Canonshooter. I have my SR15 Mod 1 setup with a VCOG and suppressor, and the weight definitely adds up. I'm looking at switching back to a RDS to drop the weight down on it a bit.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice, guys. Part of me is very happy with the H-2 and enjoys how easy it is to aim. On the other hand, I'm envious of my friend's multiple Mk12s and wish I could see the target better to tighten my group up.

I tried my hand at a 3" target today at 100 yards with the red dot. Three of my impacts were touching, practically on top of each other. What kills me is that I had two fliers which I probably could've avoided if I'd simply been able to SEE what I was shooting at! It took all my breathing and concentration to put that 2" dot over a 3" black circle, and I just wish I didn't need to strain so much.
    Last edited by BallisticHarmony; 03-29-17 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    36 (100%)
    Sounds like it's time for you to build a SPR, or a SBR and move the H2 over so you can move a magnified optic onto the 14.5. That's the beauty of the AR game, you can never have just one.
    "But if they want to play out a Rage Against the Machine album then...I have no problem blacking out my face, putting on Tiger Stripes, and working on my ear necklace."-FireFly

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnchair 04 View Post
    Sounds like it's time for you to build a SPR, or a SBR and move the H2 over so you can move a magnified optic onto the 14.5. That's the beauty of the AR game, you can never have just one.
    There's also the horror of going to college in California: no SBRs, and I'm broke. Besides, I like keeping it simple with only one gun

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    There's also the horror of going to college in California: no SBRs, and I'm broke
    Well, that put the brakes on my suggestion.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Oh man, this is calling to me.....

http://www.scopelist.org/nightforce-...-ptl-c462.aspx

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast